Replacing Squier Tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PNS128, Dec 28, 2007.

1. PNS128

PNS128

Dec 28, 2007
    Rhode Island
    I have a Squier Affinity P-Bass and am replacing the tuners with Hipshot ones. Is there anything i should know before going ahead and replacing? Any help is appreciated. =D

2. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I replaced my Squier VM Precision tuners with Hipshot ultralights. The collar was a little loose in the existing hole so I had to take care to line up and set the new screws properly to ensure accurate spacing and alignment of the new tuners. It seems to have worked out fine, although with only one screw holding the Hipshots in place, I'm sure there's a better, more positive method to ensure they remain stable long term.

3. The Hipshot UL's come in two sizes, 1/2" and 3/8th, I believe. Which did you buy?

4. PNS128

PNS128

Dec 28, 2007
    Rhode Island
    theyre gold Hipshot HB7 Tuning Machines

5. teej

teej Gold Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I believe Fender necks have 1/2" pegholes.

6. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Dont bother with hipshots, down tuning with a click is pointless and asking for trouble. Go for some regular ones. Plus, £70 on tuners when then whole bass cost £200 at the most? Its just not worth it.

Replace the nut and saddles with Graph Tech products. Get a new pickup (duncan designed?). This will give you a noticeable tone improvement, unlike the tuners.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Hipshot do regular tuners too, :ninja:

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Exactly, unless the stock tuners are so bad they don't work. A good nut, properly cut, a good setup and a string change to something better can make a world of difference. Then take a look at changing pickups.

9. Well, the tuners on my VM fretless aren't good at all; they both are loose and hard to turn at the same time, if that make sense. That bass also suffers from neck dive, not that bad when standing because I have a wide strap, but it is slightly annoying nonetheless, and it gets real bad when sitting down. So I was wondering about changing the tuners as well and maybe kill two birds with one stone.

So, subscribed.

10. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Although tuners do add weight to the headstock, and they are far from the pivot point of the strap, increasing their moment (force downwards) on the bass to make it neck heavy, they only account for a little of what is the bulk of the problem.

In short, changing tuners probably wont fix the neck diving problem. Nikki Sixx has what he calls an 'opti-grab' on his bass. Basically its a thumb rest situated behind the bridge, which he grabs to move his neck heavy Gibson Thunderbird around. Look here:

[​IMG]

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Some have suggested taking off two of the existing tuners and seeing how the balance is improved. That apparently approximates the weight savings you get from Ultralights.

12. PNS128

PNS128

Dec 28, 2007
    Rhode Island
    i know it might not seem like a good idea to invest so much money on a fairly cheap bass, but thats exactly my point. it was my first bass, and it's by far the most comfortable for me to play, especially with the neck profile. my purpose with all this (ive replaced all hardware basically), is to make it a high-quality bass that sounds as good as it feels. everythings gold:ive replaced the bridge, all knobs and screws, and installed active electronics. the tuners i had really werent extremely reliable, i was always faling out of tune. also, cosmetically, they were silver (not gold). thanks for the help guys.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021