Replacing SRX-705 Stock pickups with EMGs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by E.J. T.N.T., Oct 23, 2005.

1. I own an Ibanez SRX-705.Its stock pickups(PFRAL-5)are pretty powerful passive pickups that resemble pretty much the EMG 40HZ model.Having the DWB(Doug Wimbish sgnature model)in mind i was thinking about replacing the stock pickups with the EMG 40-DC active pickups.The onboard preamp is stock as well but okay enough to handle the new pickups and the only problem seems to be where to place the 4 9-volt batteries(two for each pickup right?Even though a dude told i could use only two if i wire them parallel[or in series,i don't quite remember])Do you consider this upgrade a good one?All advice is welcome :)
  2. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    IMHO the stock pickups in the SR705 complement the bass quite nicely. Maybe sell this one and buy the DWB3? :)

But to answer your question - AFAIK EMGs pickups can run at 9, 18, or 27 Volts. In most cases they run on 9V, so one 9v battery should be enough.
  3. The dwb3 is loaded with the EMG-40J pickups thus having a much more traditional jazz-bass tone ,I also prefer the SRX's tone(due to the fact the neck is made out of maple and walnutproducing a brighter and easier-to-bring-out tone than the maple\bubinga neckof dwb3)plus its blue colour sucks.Other than that the official Greek Ibanez dealer won't bring the dwb3(just think that i have one of the only two SRX705 brought in the entire country(Greece),the second one is still in the shop)