1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing Sterling SUB pickup question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chris Munro, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Chris Munro

Chris Munro

Nov 23, 2017
    Hi all,
    I'm replacing my Sterling SUB 4's pickup with a Nordstrand MM4.2 but when I took out the old pickup I was surprised to see a couple of bars stuck on the back with foam & springs stuck to it so it's much deeper than the Nordstrand. So, what's the best way to mount the Nordstrand? Reuse the foam & springs on the back of the new pickup & pack it out with a piece of wood? Any experience anyone has with this would be great. Pics attached so you can see what I mean. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Just go get some thick weather stripping and cover the entire bottom of the new pickup. If not thick enough add more layers... or shim with wood in the cavity like you suggest.

Don’t glue the shim in, use double sided tape: always try to keep mods reversible.

Chris Munro likes this.
  3. Sub-Frequency

Sub-Frequency

Sep 19, 2017
    This or just use some foam. I have various layers of foam laying around for this exact reason. I find that foam works far better than springs (less microphonic, as the pickup tends to vibrate far less).

Chris Munro likes this.
  4. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Old mousepad foam works a treat for this. Like OP I had a bit of a shock when I pulled all of this stuff out when I removed the stock pickup from my Sub.

The bars stuck on the back of the pickup are ceramic magnets. Between these, and the stock Sub pickup being wired with the coils in series, you don't really get a classic Stingray tone out of these basses by default.

96tbird and Chris Munro like this.
  5. Chris Munro

Chris Munro

Nov 23, 2017
    Thanks all for your advice. Used a couple of pieces of closed cell foam. Worked really well. I also added a 3-way switch to get the Parallel/Series/Single Coil output from the Nordstrand pickup and replaced the preamp with the Mojotone MusicMan replica. Apart from having to shave off a bit of wood to get the switch in, and needing to get more nuts for the pots to recess them (the old pots are a bit smaller) it went pretty well. My first time doing any mods too! The sound is definitely smoother and the preamp is subtler which is good thing - way too hot before. The single coil sound is nice, but a bit noisier than the other settings with the treble up though. Series is louder & punchy and the parallel smooth.