1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

replacing stolen pedals; upgrades??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattq, Apr 15, 2009.

1. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    some of you might have seen on here that all my gear was stolen recently. which included my pt-jr with all my pedals :bawl:. well i'm slowly replacing all the ones i lost and started wondering if i want my exact same setup back or not. i figured i'd ask you guys if there were some effects i'm potentially missing out on. i plan on buying used wherever possible and want a smaller board, so no assmaster sized anything. my old chain was gretsch hollowbody>pitchblack>fulltone bassdrive>little big muff>carbon copy>bbe optostomp>sansamp bddi>big tubey goodness. loved the bassdrive and a replacement's already on the way, and the sansamp is pretty indispensable for me. what i'm not sure on is fuzz, delay, and compression. for example, i'm eyeing a devi ever cherry pop to replace the muff. i like the slightly gated stuff. basically, i liked my setup before but don't want to re-buy something only to wish i would have found something else sooner. anything i'm missing out on?

2. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Personally, I feel that for the price and the size, the MXR Carbon Copy can't be beat. There are, however, many many other production and boutique pedals out there that cover the analog delay arena. Most of which are gonna cost you a lot more.

As far as fuzz, I actually like the B:Assmaster. It's also a lot smaller than the pictures on the Malekko website make it seem.

For compression, I like the Demeter Compulator, but I'd suggest a read up on Bongomania's posts/reviews on the subject. (Just check his profile)

I have to ask though, why do you want to change out pedals if what you had already worked for you?

3. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    instead of the Little Big Muff get a Bass Big Muff

4. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    +1!

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    This. The B:Assmaster is a great pedal, but a very different fuzz tone.

I also agree that the Carbon Copy sounds great (though as I've noticed in the past I got a bad one and apparently am far from the only one) so perhaps the Malekko 616 would be worth a try (when it comes out).

The Bass Drive is a solid unit. My favorite bass overdrive is still the Blueberry, but that's quite a price difference as well as being a very different sounding unit. Maybe a Holy Fire or a Electronix GeminiDrive instead?

I've never tried the Opto Stomp so I can't help you there.

Really, you had a pretty nice little setup and if you dug it, you'd be fine to just replace all the pedals (except the Bass Big Muff this time) but I know how you're probably feeling. It's very frustrating to spend a bunch of money to replace things that you've already had for a long time.

I did that in college when a bunch of my CDs were stolen during a party. I hated spending money on albums that I'd already listened to countless times.

6. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    Also, the Zvex woolly mammoth, is a great fuzz and will save you some pedalboard space. Little pricey, though...

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    That situation sucks, I've been there. It's nice to have the opportunity to start fresh albeit with a goal in mind, but one pedal is not always going to sound like another, even if it does the same function. I really liked the Carbon Copy, great delay for the price, I only flipped mine for something which had a tap tempo (ended up with a DD-20). As far as your other pedals, unless you need to get your board together relatively soon (I had an upcoming gig so I had to work quickly) take some time to really play around and try out stuff with your old tone in mind.

8. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    if you want to try something new, just get what is available, if you don't like it you can always sell it and return to your old setup.
    Some good delay units from what I've heard:
    EHX:
    Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai
    Deluxe Memory Man (its coming in a new smaller enclousure)
    Empress:
    Super Delay
    Malekko:
    Echo 600/300 Dark/Bright
    you may already know but there's an effects clips database there's tons of different pedals there you can see if something is of your taste

9. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    thanks for the tips. i had a feeling the bass big muff suggestion would come out. i actually have one. i hate it. it's a good unit and i get why other people dig it. it's just totally uninteresting sounding to me. and the assmaster sounds really similar to it in the clips i've heard. keep the suggestions coming though!

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've gotta +1 the Carbon Copy. Hard to beat at that price point. Fuzz is a wide open, and very subjective realm of darkness. So many very different fuzz products. I always leaned more toward the mild overdrive, but for all out dirt, I'm using a Fuzz Factory. Very tweakable, and also easy to get it squealin'. But when you find it's sweet spot, lord god almighty it's some tasty fuzz. Compression is alot more limited within a lower pricerange. I've been in love with my Trex Squeezer for almost 3 yrs, but it's pricey. Worth it to me, you'd have to try one to know. Sucks about your gear. My band had all our amps stolen from the back of a truck in my driveway, around 4 AM. We grabbed the guitars, and went inside for a few minutes, and that's all it took. Hope you end up happy either way.

11. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    agreed. the carbon copy is probably going to be directly replaced. i really dug that one anyway. i think i am just going to have to replace the ones i lost with the exact same thing. except the little big muff. i want something a little more gated with a little more midrange in the overall tone. a little more dangerous sounding...

12. depth charge for fuzz. but thats just me.