Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing strings (poor student problems)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by weeding, Aug 25, 2005.

1. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    OK. Playing an Ibanez Roadgear with A$100 Elixir strings. Now I'm a poor student, and when these die, what should I do. I think I'd like a bit of a different tone from the Elixirs, something with some smoother mids (if possible) and some nice crystal highs, with some nice round, phat lows. What should I be looking for here, as the elixirs seem a little too metalic for me....(and the E doesn't like being tuned to drop D to much).

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I wouldn't say i'm poor, but I don't like buying strings all the time...

Do a search for denatured alcohol on TB....

BTW, I rotate sets of strings every week...I have been doing this for the past year - the same two sets!!! I always sound nice and zingy :D

:)

3. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    is it just me or is weeding describing the perfect strings?

i think if these strings exist all others might aswell give up.

4. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    as a poor student to another try the det. alchol stuff, and buy RotoBass rotosound strings (14$) they will be cool for 4 months.
    you can also buy vinci for 10$ a set (i think from music123.com) and the last option is buying from ebay - but buy only the known brands.
    im using the ROTO bass strings and they are really great on my jazzbass :bassist: .
    BTW i saw elixirs on ebay sell for the round of 38$ (new) or u can also try the DR Black beauties.

but stay optimistic - at the end we (the students) will have a job that will able us all to buy more strings, and more basses and
    a naggy wife. :D