1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing strings (poor student problems)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by weeding, Aug 25, 2005.

1. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    OK. Playing an Ibanez Roadgear with A$100 Elixir strings. Now I'm a poor student, and when these die, what should I do. I think I'd like a bit of a different tone from the Elixirs, something with some smoother mids (if possible) and some nice crystal highs, with some nice round, phat lows. What should I be looking for here, as the elixirs seem a little too metalic for me....(and the E doesn't like being tuned to drop D to much).

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I wouldn't say i'm poor, but I don't like buying strings all the time...

Do a search for denatured alcohol on TB....

BTW, I rotate sets of strings every week...I have been doing this for the past year - the same two sets!!! I always sound nice and zingy :D

:)

3. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    is it just me or is weeding describing the perfect strings?

i think if these strings exist all others might aswell give up.

4. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    as a poor student to another try the det. alchol stuff, and buy RotoBass rotosound strings (14$) they will be cool for 4 months.
    you can also buy vinci for 10$ a set (i think from music123.com) and the last option is buying from ebay - but buy only the known brands.
    im using the ROTO bass strings and they are really great on my jazzbass :bassist: .
    BTW i saw elixirs on ebay sell for the round of 38$ (new) or u can also try the DR Black beauties.

but stay optimistic - at the end we (the students) will have a job that will able us all to buy more strings, and more basses and
    a naggy wife. :D