1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing SVT210AV Speakers for Higher Power Handling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedWire75, Dec 10, 2018.

1. RedWire75

RedWire75 Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Not sure if this is possible or not but are there any higher wattage replacement speakers that would play nice in a SVT210AV cab? I LOVE the sound of these but I’m running into farting at the SPLs I need with 500 watts.

Cab design, mechanical vs. thermal ratings, Xmax, etc. is all a little over my head.

2. sstillwell

sstillwell

Nov 20, 2008
    You're unlikely to find any joy in replacing the speakers in the cabinet. You can undoubtedly find a speaker with better power handling, greater Xmax, etc., but the fact that the specs are different will mean that it will SOUND different...and there went your "I LOVE the sound of these things".

You might be better off with a HPF pedal like fdeck's or a Broughton and cut the subsonic string-thumping out...you'll get greater effective SPL out of the cabinet. Of course, if you don't exceed the mechanical limits of the speaker, you'll eventually reach the THERMAL limits of the speaker, so it's not a free pass to all-you-can-eat SPL, but I'll bet you can get more out of the cabinet than you think. The speaker has a -3dB down point of 58 Hz and is -10 dB at 40 Hz...anything you can do to cut content down below those frequencies is pure win - the cabinet can't reproduce it effectively, and it's just making the speaker flap back and forth eating up your precious Xmax.

At the end of the day, though, it's a 2x10 cabinet that isn't really intended for ball-crushing high-volume use. If you need more volume AND your amp can handle the impedance, the best way to get more out of that cabinet is to use more of them.

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Buy three more and stack them for a vertical 8x10 stack.

Qlanq, Engle, wintremute and 5 others like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    More speakers move more air.

+1 Add another cab for 4x10 vertical stack and an adjustable HPF to cut the mud. Plus, with the cabs closer to ear level, you can hear yourself much better.

With 500w into four speakers, 125w per speaker will handle it much better instead of 250w per speaker.

Set the HPF at 80 and you'll be good.

5. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    That puts the idea of replacing the drivers over your head too. Even if you were an expert you'd run into a brick wall without having the full T/S specs and SPL charts. You won't get those from Ampeg or Eminence, so you'd have to measure them yourself. If you really like the way it sounds but it's not loud enough add another one.

AstroSonic likes this.
  6. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Which is why I’m asking. There’s a lot of knowledge here.

I’ve already got two of the 210 cabs. Head doesn’t go under 4 ohms so I can’t keep adding.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Seems like you might need a 6x10.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Don't change the cab, add another. They're inexpensive and sound great. They sing with tone but don't bowl you over.

9. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    610 doesn’t fit in my car. If Bergantino was still making the NV610 it would be tempting though.

I just got rid of a Fender Bassman 610 though. Low end felt really boomy without low mid punch.

10. Trying to make something into something it’s not typically ends with a fail. If two of the cabinets doesn’t do what you need then look for something that will. Cheaper and all around better in the long run!

12BitSlab and ZGotts like this.
  11. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    I wish I knew what that was. Can’t try anything out in St. Louis. Thought DB112s were it but just got to spend $90 shipping those back for a return.

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Nice to see somebody asking the question before getting into a modification project too far down the road to help...

If two of these cabinets combined with your amp being capable of a 4 ohm minimum load aren't getting you enough volume, it's likely that that your entire rig nay not be the right tool for the job you are asking it to do.

IMO, you might want to reconsider what you are trying to achieve and see if maybe there is a better approach to getting you there. What amp are you using with your cabinets? What kind of music/playing style?

13. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Using a Tone Hammer 350 with the two SVT210AV cabs. I’ve got a TH500 I tried with the DB112/DB112NT cabs but those proved too inefficient and I had to push the 500 too hard.

The 350/Ampeg rig is SO close. I just need some additional headroom. Tried the 500 with the pair but got farty too quick. The 210s are a bit bass shy so you have to boost the low end so it makes sense somewhat. Not so much worried about thermal wattage but hitting max excursion.

Music is original indie rock/90s emo-ish. We’re too loud but that’s a battle I’m losing. Link to our EP is in my sig so you can hear what I’m going for.

14. freedomryder

freedomryder

Nov 21, 2012
    Seattle area
    I ran into this problem myself (with those cabs). A HPF definitely did help, but I ended up getting 2 SVT 112AV’s instead. Similar tone (not identical) but higher power handling. Sound great.

DJ Bebop and RedWire75 like this.
  15. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    That’s a good idea. They don’t seem to be much more efficient than the DB112s but if I go vertical they’d be closer to my ear. Would handle the TH500 as well. Worth more investigation.

freedomryder likes this.
  16. dralionux

dralionux

Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    @agedhorse

Can I add a Genzler Bass Array BA 10-2 to an existing SVT-210AV ? (I only play gigs with PA support)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  17. Have you been stacking them

Amp
    O
    O
    O
    O

Or
    AMP
    OO
    OO ??

18. RedWire75

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    O
    O
    O
    O

NKBassman likes this.
  19. A HPF will get you some MOAR out of the 500w but not miraculous amounts.

You aren't scooping out all your mids are you?

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I think you would get much better results with those cabinets by using two of them together, not mixing and matching.