1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing the 9V input on an old Ibanez stompbox

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arcureo, Jul 5, 2014.

1. arcureo

arcureo

Mar 7, 2007
    Padova, Italy
    Hi ya all... I have an old Ibanez BE10 (the Bass Equalizer) that works pretty well and I really like, but has a problem with its 9V-AC adapter input. It's probably either worn out or totally oxidized, because once the pedal it's on (and working) if I just lightly touch the input connector (coming from the AC adapter) the pedal switches itself off. Then by fidgeting a little with it I can re-estabilish the power connection and get it going again, but still... it's a real pain in the ass.
    You can understand that while on stage, it's very easy to accidentally touch it or move it, even indirectly, so you get the picture.
    I accessed the circuit board and the soldering seems fine, so it's probably the metal connector inside the 9V input adapter jack (either the little metal rod in the center, or more likely the little metal plate).
    Does anyone know if it's easy to replace it?
    I think the component should be something like this one (just to give you a reference)
    dc_barrel_2.jpg
    Does someone know the exact name of that component so I can order it?
    Or it's more a hassle than anything and I should just get a new pedal and be done with it?
    It's kinda of a bummer, though... throwing away an otherwise perfectly good pedal...!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. signboy

signboy

May 24, 2014
    I don't know the part number unfortunately, and without it you'll be pretty lost on mouser.com. I've fixed a ton of these over the years though, through various "git r dun" means.
    1. rob another pedal-some Beringer
    pos that you found under the couch or in a pawn shop.

2.check radio shack or the like for something you can use. It doesn't have to be the same shape, as long as you can get a male/female pair of jacks. Put one in the pedal, and one on the cord.

3. hardwire the damn cord right in.

all of these are kinda drastic measures, so please check & double check that it's not the adapter cord/end or the jack to board solder. If that's all good, there's not much you can do with the jack itself.

Maybe someone will know how the find the exact part from some distributor.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  4. arcureo

arcureo

Mar 7, 2007
    Padova, Italy
    Well I might have been lucky, this time... I double checked the solderings on the AC-input and it actually DID have a tiny little crack. It almost went undetected but luckily I saw it and re-soldered it shut.
    It seem everything's working, now, so probably that was the issue!
    :thumbsup:

Thanks everybody!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021