1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing the Bartolini MK-1's from my Cort Artisan

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by megadethjohn, May 29, 2007.

1. megadethjohn

megadethjohn

Apr 25, 2007
    Chicago
    When I bought this bass the salesman was raving about how insanely awsome this bass was because of the Bartolini pickups in it, MK-1's. I thought that they sounded decent, but nothing like other Bartolini's I've heard in high end basses. I recently found out that Bartolini doesn't even make these pickups, but rather licenses other companies to make 'em. I don't really care about that, but I do want to get a better tone so it's time to upgrade. Here's what I've been looking at...

Nordstrand Big Single's - I hear that these are loud and aggressive, strong on mids and highs and allright on bass.

Norstrand Fat Stack's - I hear that these sound huge, but aren't as aggressive as the Big Singles.

Bartolini MK5CBC - Don't really know much about these, but they're not to expensive so they're in the running.

My EQ is usually set close to flat and I like when every note hit is heard in the mix. I play in a thrash metal band ala Exodus, Testament, ect... but do a lot of blues/classic rock jams.

So what do you guys think? Any recomendations for pickups that I didn't already list?

2. I have MKIs in my Lakland, and although I don't have firsthand experience with any oif the pickups you listed, based on what other people have said I'd say go with the Fat Stacks. It sounds like you might like the aggressiveness of the Big Singles for your metal work and the fat punch of the Fat Stacks for your blues type stuff, but IIRC the Fat Stacks are splittable, basically giving you both in one. FWIW, are you planning to replace the Bart preamp as well.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    If your Cort has the 'Bart' pre that matches the MK1's, replace it first. it's a dog. My pre suggestion would be Aguilar.

4. megadethjohn

megadethjohn

Apr 25, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm definetly going to be up grading the preamp when I get the new pickups. I'm probably leaning towards the Big Singles at this point. I emailed Nordstrand and asked what kind of pre's they recomend...this is what I got back...

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021