1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

REPLACING the battery in a MM Sterling!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kenichi, Aug 20, 2007.

1. kenichi

kenichi

Aug 20, 2007
    Hey guys, just got my first MM Sterling bass guitar yesterday, and so far everything seems to work as it should be, except that I don't know how to take the battery out of the body for a replacement! and since this task was supposed to be easier on these basses, I'm wondering wether my instrument has a problem, or if the one with the problem is me!

I'd really appreciate your advises, howto's or support of any kind ::smug:

2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not sure if you are referring to a problem you are having with your Sterling, or if you mean just the regular ol' way of replacing the battery. But if you are just referring to changing the battery normally, I just use my fingernail to pull on the battery cavity tab to get it to open up. Then there is an internal top cover which you pop open which should expose the battery. Pull the battery out and insert a new one in the same polarity position. Snap the cover closed and close up the battery cavity.

*that was from memory, so if any of that doesn't make sense, I may have flubbed it up :oops: *

Sorry if that was just a rehash of something you already knew. I think the confusing part is the internal top cover which some people I know weren't aware of.

I'll try to take some pics of this tonight if you still need it.

3. kenichi

kenichi

Aug 20, 2007
    man, you're so kind! and if you have the time, it'd be great if you could post those pics, and yes, the problem is that I can't get to open that internal top cover you're talking about!

You know, being my first MM I don't want to screw the battery cavity, but maybe I need to apply a little more power to open that cover.

Anyway, you're being really helpful! thnx a lot man!

4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    on my '06 stingray

open the battery door to expose the inner cover.

hold the battery box steady with your right hand , push down on the tab that says open in small print and push or pull in a horizontal motion towards the headstock.

remove the battery by pulling it out.

closed box;

HPIM1474.

open box closed inner cover;
    HPIM1475.

open inner cover;
    HPIM1477.

5. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    If you picked it up used and it is an older one it might take removing a couple of screws. My original Sterling uses this method.

6. kenichi

kenichi

Aug 20, 2007
    indiana mike, thanks a lot! it's going to be a lot easier with these pics! I don't wanna hurt this baby! I've waited for her so long! :)

and lowrez, it's a 07, so I don't think they have screws on it.

well guys, thanks much! I'm gonna give it another shot right now! Tomorroe I'll let you know what happened!

7. kenichi

kenichi

Aug 20, 2007
    That's right. Thanks to your help, I found out how to pop the battery out the cavity. It's kinda tricky, though, and I don't know if the reason is because the bass is new or if the mechanism is damaged or something. Anyway, I'll be really careful next time I want to replace the battery.

Thank you all!:hyper:

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    your username makes me keep thinking of Iron Chef Chen Kenichi!

[​IMG]

9. kenichi

kenichi

Aug 20, 2007
    of course! I'm a huge Iron Chef fan (I'm talking about the original one of course, the american version sucks big time)! :D

I could have picked "Michiba" as well :p

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Without a doubt, the BEST Iron Chef there is. :D Why do they even have an Iron Chef Italian? He never comes on. :confused:

11. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    [​IMG]

Hiroyuki Sakai freakin' rules. The best chef? I dunno. But he just rules.

12. kenichi

kenichi

Aug 20, 2007
    I start wondering what's with the bass players and this glorious show. Does this mean I'm not the only one who has exercised his fingers on the fretboard while watching how these guys prepare a $300 swallow's nest dish?

And YES, we almost never get to see the italian Iron Chef!

What's worst, here in Mexico we only catch the american version :scowl:

13. kenichi

kenichi

Aug 20, 2007
    Actually he appeared in 20+ shows, but I haven't watched them all. He's the only Iron Chef to have lost his opening battle.