Replacing the driver in my Bag End S-15D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheCreature, Dec 19, 2002.

1. TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX

I like the way this cab sounds, it's perfect for what I'm doing. However, more power and better low lows sure would be nice. I noticed that Avatar's C15 cabinet is the same dimensions (not sure about port size) and he uses Eminence Kappa drivers - the Kappa pro model now and the stamped one previously. Can I just screw one of these into my cab and expect good results? How close do the TS params have to be? How about a Deltalite?

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i dont know from experience, seeing as ive never replaced speakers with a different brand, but ill say this:

theoretically, yes. but...

that box was designed for the speaker thats in it. bag end is a very reputable company, and theres a reason that a bad end 15 incher costs more than an avatar. yes, in part it may be name recognition, but i would guess the reason bag end has the name recognition is the tone and quality of its speaker drivers and enclosures. even other companies such as SWR use bag end drivers in their enclosures.

why fix it if it aint broke?

you would basically be turning a bag end cab into an avatar cab. the avatar cabs are cheap enough, why not just buy the whole thing? better yet, get a matching bag end 15.

you cant ever have too much of a good thing.

i dont mean to be insulting, but i think you would be dissapointed with the results. and that would be a waste of money better spent on something you know you like.

besides, doesnt a matching stack of 15" cabs look better? (ok ok so im vain... into the corner i go)
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    experience (mine) says.......
    you add a bagend s15xd to it and watch out
    the highs are great from the coax and.......
    the lows increase dramatically when playing two bagend 115s together
    btw, i push my bagend 115 with 450 watts from one side of my powere amp and it does just really don't use all those watts exept for peak transients and the bagend is rated for 800 watts peak
    i have seen a lot more bagend cabs blown by using 100 watt amps and clipping them that i have seen blown by 1000 watt amps
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    When I got my current rig which partially consists of a Nahas 1-12 with a 400w Eminence driver, I paired it with two S15-D cabs, one with the original driver, the other with a replacement Kappa driver. There's a difference, not huge but entirely noticeable. I bought the stock cab.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I also saw an increase in lows when I added a second S15-D. Tighter, too!
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Without the exact specs of each driver, I couldn't tell you how it would work out.

But, given that you like it now, and way such things work, it probably wouldn't sound "like that" anymore if you replaced the driver with a different model. You might or might not like the results. I agree with others, doesn't seem worth the risk.

P.S. box dimensions can be off by 10% or so without a drastic change in the sound. Ports are much more sensitive, and you have even less of an idea how similar they are in this case. You could always modify the ports once you added the new driver, but now we're increasing the trouble to fix something that already works well.