1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing the handle on hartke kickback 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkometer, Apr 29, 2010.

1. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Anyone know how I can replace the handle on a hartke kickback 12? Should I take the amp section out to get to the handles from underneath?
    Tried a search with no results....

2. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have a kickback 10 and the handle is a weak point IMO. The amp is pretty light, but with a solid handle mounted to it, it would seem way light (that is if you are not worried about modding your amp).

If you just want to replace it, just pull the amp section and you can probably order that handle from Hartke or get a very similar one (possibly the same thing) from a store with amp parts.

3. funkometer

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Handle is still good, just the rubber on it has worn away....

4. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    With that style you have to replace the whole handle or better yet...duct tape! :D

5. If you do replace the whole handle, it may be worthwhile to replace the wood screws with sex bolts (t-nuts). It'll save your bacon if the wood fails.

6. funkometer

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Hehe, its already been taped for a year or so.....

7. funkometer

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Still cant get to the handle screws. Took the amp out, and i can see that the screws are attached from the top, no luck this way. Dunno how to get these suckers out....

8. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
  9. funkometer

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Hehe. I actually called. He answered, and was very pleasant to deal with! He referred me to his customer service guy, as he couldnt recall the info I wanted. Left him a message, well see what happens! I always thought that ad was BS, guess I was wrong!

10. funkometer

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Call Larry hartke, and get the run around. Still cant figure out how to remove the handle, all Larry did was shuffle me over to customer service, where all you can do is order parts and never speak to a real person.

11. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    How about calling him back and telling him what you just posted here?

12. funkometer

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    I could cares less what he thinks, just want to replace this handle. Customer service guy said the caps that cover the handle just pop off, but they dont. Ive tried prying them off with a screwdriver, but the screwdriver will bend and break before these caps budge.....o well, i dont use the amp that much anyway................

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I'm with larry.. this is a maintenance issue.

You can get a handle at any pro audio store (no GC is not Pro Audio)

In all sincerity -- doesn't sound like your expectations are realistic.. not sure if you're prepped to do maintenance if a handle swap is tripping things up.

14. funkometer

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Finding a handle isnt the problem, if you had read my previous posts youd realize that MNAirHead. ITS GETTING THE CAPS OFF!! GUESS i need to webcam myself prying these suckers off with a hammer......

15. MNAirHead

pull them off any way possible... use an awl

16. MNAirHead

and respectfully - I did read your post.

17. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Got a photo of the caps? If the screws are concealed under the plastic caps, then the cap may need to be pried upwards from the strap end.

And I do think Larry would help you get in touch with a tech who can help you if you explain your problem to him.

If I can get out today I'll take a look at one.

18. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I'll take a look at mine tonight too.

19. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Feb 27, 2010
    Hartke Systems
    Hey Funkometer,

The caps pry off from both sides, it's very simple, I'll send you a new handle asembly and it will be easy for you to see how they work. One new handle assembly is worth a thousand words! Just e-mail me your address and I'll get it right out to you.
    lahartke@comcast.net

20. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    There ya go! :bassist: