1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing the pickups in a squier

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Step, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    Hi there,

Ive been wanting to install new pickups in my squier affinity jazz bass for a while now

the bass sounds quite crappy now, and Im wondering: is this because of the pickups or because of the wood/build quality
    IE if you would put the best pickups in the world in this bass would it sound good?

Ive never looked inside the bass, to see the wiring, because Id have to remove the knobs to see it

Is it hard to install new pickups in a jazz like this one? would I need to solder or just wire them together?

and as a bonus question: recommend me some pickups. Id like to get a bassy tone out of it, not so much a jazz-growl, but more of a neck pickup rock tone

Id also like it to stay passive, so a preamp is out of the question

2. I have a an affinity. V and I can attest to the pickups sounding awful. Try some nj4se or sv's. Both are hum canceling and both can get growl or smooth bass. I am of the opinion that wood does not affect tone immensely so changing pickups and strings will make a huge difference. Also try a new bridge. The hipshot b made my bass come to life

3. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    I have a Squier P that has had the frets, nut, bridge, pups, pots, and strings changed and nothing changes the sound more than the pickups, imo. I went with the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder SPB3 pups and they give it the rock tone that you are seeking but I have a P and a J pickup where you have two J's. They are passive and do require soldering.

4. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    String and Pickup plays a big part on your sound but also your amp and your technique leads to what sound you will be getting.

To me wood and other stuff like tuner or bridge only plays a small part in term of sound, but if those are made in high quality then it will improve your bass thats for sure.

For your Jazz bass i say change the pickup and the string. What type of sound you looking for?