Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing the pickups in my 72 Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FunkyDom, Feb 2, 2005.

1. FunkyDom

FunkyDom

Aug 31, 2002
    Hey all,
    I've been playing a 1972 vintage Fender jazz now for about six years and I just have to replace the pickups. They're pretty much pooched, pumpin out only about a quarter of what they should be and they give off this awful 60 cycle humm.

Anyway, what I need help with is finding a suitable replacement. Emulating the vintage sound isn't really a concern of mine and I do enjoy slapping as equally as I do fingerstyle. I'm thinking something with a high low end, low mids, and medium highs (I'm assuming this will give the best slap and finger sound).

Does anyone have any ideas or any experiences with this. I'm sure I'm not the only one thats had to replace vintage jazz pickups. Any info is welcome :eyebrow:

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    do you want humcancelling or single coil?
    The best h/c's J's I've tried are the Sadowsky's - good low end, good mids, detailed (but not harsh) highs. Very slap friendly. The Dimarzio Ultra Jazz are also very slap friendly, but to my ears they were a little bid scooped sounding.
    For s/c's, Aero's are my favorites.
    Did you read Smash's or luknfur's J review threads? Well worth a read. There should be links to them in the pickups faq.

4. Unless you've demagnetized them somehow (highly unlikely)...are you SURE it's the pickups? There's no moving parts, they're just wire wrapped around magnets. In other words...there's nothing to wear out!!

IMHO it's more likely you have other problems. A loose ground wire, perhaps, or potentiometers that are corroded? Or corroded output jack? A leaky tone capacitor? Or some other short?

Try soldering a pickup directly to a NEW jack and see what it sounds like.

5. FunkyDom

FunkyDom

Aug 31, 2002
    I've thought about that. I guess it couldn't hurt regardless. Even if I do get new pickups a new jack wouldn't hurt. Maybe I'll give that a try before shell out $200 for pickups.