Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing the pickups in my bass..good idea?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by crazyphil, Aug 27, 2002.

1. I'm really starting to like my Ibanez GSR 200, even though I know it's considered a beginner's bass. It looks great, has good build quality, and the only thing I would really change is the pickups. Is it worth it to change the pickups or should I be looking for a different bass altogether?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Smart move to ask that question, phil.

IMO - It's a waste to slap top-grade, excellent pups on a bass that has "bad bones" (as in "cheap") to begin with. It's like putting a walnut burl dashboard in a Kia Rio. You may be getting to learn to like that bass now, BUT, I'll bet dollars to donuts you will see its shortcomings in due time as you try out better basses.

Sure, the upgraded pups will make it sound better. But you'll never get your full money's worth out of them or allow them to realize their real potential due to the GSR's cheap woods, construction methods, and bridge (among other factors). Plus, the pups will be worth more than the bass!

My advice is to save that money towards something that will not only have better pups, but better woods, hardware, and playability. Think "long term" to get that tone you're really after.

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I checked up on the spec and it has an agathis body and PJ pickups. The pups can readily be changed out for EMG Barts whatever but the rest of the bass will limit how much good you do.

Is the bass easy to play? Does it stay in tune? Does the body resonate when you play it? Can you see yourself keeping this bass forever?

If your answer is yes to all of those get new pups. However it might be an idea to use it as a learner bass and move on later. It is designed as a beginner bass not a tone monster. As such they are great. My bassplayer (long story) uses one as a back up. Some people are funny about buying non stock basses.

4. So I guess the agathis body isn't the best? Thanks for the feedback; I think I will keep it stock and look for something a little better after I learn to play better. I was also thinking of de-fretting it once I actually become a competent player.

5. ...a wise decision.

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Instead of defretting it you could trade it for a Yamaha 260F or 270F;they have alder bodies and slightly better hardware.I had a 260F,it sounded amazing for a bass that cost me 199 brand new.I sold it to get a used Modulus fretless 5 but for the money they're unbeatable.