1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing the Sovtek 12AX7WA in my Digitech BP8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatboy250, Mar 11, 2008.

1. I would like to get some suggestions from some of you guys that know more about tubes than I do.

I know almost nothing...in fact this replacement is being spurred by my recent inability to get any sound out of my board. I get display but no sound. In fact, I get the same result if I remove the tube as when it's still in place. I'm guessing the tube has gone bad but I'm not sure....So, what would be the logical upgrade tube for this application.

Any input would be appreciated,

Jason

2. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    There are some good Sovtek 12AX7's, but that grade isn't one of them in my experience. I orginally had them in both my in SVT-CL and my Mesa 400+ and I noticed a huge improvement when I put EH's in and a little more improvement when I moved up to NP Tung Sols. I think the EH or JJ's would be a good place to start and they're only going to run you $8-$10 buck before tax and shipping. The Sovtek's I've had all sound pale and harsh in comparsion.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Man I will talk myself blue in the face. JJ/Tesla ECC83S\

Butch from Bayou Audio Cables has about the best price I have seen on them.

I just ordered 4.

4. I think I found what you guys mentioned here http://www.tubedepot.com/12ax7.html

However, what about these $100+ tubes. What are they all about? Not that I'll be going that route, but just curious.

Thanks again,
    Jason

5. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    I just ordred some JJ/Telsa from Butch as well, great tubes, and a great price.

I actually ordered ALL my tubes from Bayou, six 6550 Winged C's, 3 12ax7 ( JJ/Telsa ECC83s ) , and two 12au7 ( ECC82 )

I retubed my Ampeg SVT Classic, and it sounds like THUNDER.

JJ Telsa are the best 12ax7 / 12au7