Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing The Stings On My Ibanez GSR200

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by agyeman, Mar 6, 2001.

1. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I have been playing bass now for about 1 and a half months and want to change my strings.

Has anyone here with a GSR200 changed there strings before, if so how did they do it?

It seem looking at the nut, that the string dispears into the nut, and is held in postion by a screw in the tunning handle (or whatever it's called). Is this right?

Thanks in advance.

2. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Yeah, ive got one. You should be able to take the strings off without a problem. I suggets you cut your new ones a little. Otherwise it will take quite a bit longer to install them. Slide the strings though the holes at the bottom of the bridge. Push the string directly into the hole as deep as it will go. Then bend the string so it can slide into the slot to the left and right of the hole. Take a look at your bass before you do this. Look closely at how the srtings are bent.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey, 311 Fan, if thats your bass, you wound the G string incorrectly. The winding should be facing in, not out. Youre putting tension on the top right corner of the nut, and you could break it doing that.

The tuners on the top are wound clockwise so that the string will be facing the inside of the headstock, and on the bottom they should be wound counter clockwise (like 311's D string, the top right one). The strings will always face the inside. Top tighten the strings, you will turn the tuning keys away from you (when sitting with the bass) on the top strings, and towards you on the bottom strings.

Beware, dont cut the string too much. It can always be too long, but it cant be too short. You should have at least 3 windings of string on each peg, but that differs between people. I wind mine all the way down to the bottom of the peg. If you need more help, ask!

BTW, 311, rewind the G, now!

4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I have replaced the strings. Thanks for the help. It was a lot easier than it appeared to be. The manuel made it look like there was a screw that has to be tightend to hold the string, but there isn't.

Thanks again.