Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing the truss rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by _Nomad, Jun 2, 2005.

1. _Nomad

_Nomad

May 25, 2005
    Meråker, Norway
    I recently dropped my cort curbow 4 down a stairway, and broke the truss rod. I'm wondering, is it possible to get a new truss rod from warmoth or something, and replace the broken one? I know it's an el cheapo bass, but i kinda liked it :rolleyes:

2. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    You mean you broke just the truss rod and not the neck?

3. I take you'r needing a new neck too ?

Probably just as well getting a replacement neck of the same specs

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sure, it can be done. You need to remove the fingerboard (usually by sawing, grinding, and sanding), replace the rod, put on a new fingerboard, refret, fret dress, and set up.

Its usually better and cheaper to just buy a new neck.

5. _Nomad

_Nomad

May 25, 2005
    Meråker, Norway
    Thanks for answers:) Well, I guess It's kind of pointless to spend money on a new neck for such a cheap and worn bass..
    There goes my only 4 string :(

6. try contacting Cort, and see how much it would cost for a neck on its own, might not be too bad :)

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am moving this to Setup so our repair experts can have a shot at answering it for you.

8. _Nomad

_Nomad

May 25, 2005
    Meråker, Norway

9. Whoah up there partner ... things ain't as bleak as they seem. First off, I seriously doubt you broke your trussrod by dropping it down the stairs. The style and structure of these things, plus the fact that they are buried in the neck insures that they can't be damaged in this way. Now, if you broke the neck, we are in different waters... :eyebrow: :)

So get with me on email so we can go back and forth with pics. My address is adhamilton@mindspring.com.

BTW, fretboards are NOT removed by sawing,grinding, and cutting by professionals unless they are damaged and there is no reason to keep them after removal. They are removed with heat, and steam and can be taken of with enough care so that they can be re-installed if needed. The Cort Curbow has an Ebonol neck that must be preserved to maintain the value of the instrument. That's what makes this bass quite a bit different from others. Getting the neck off will be difficult but fortunately, I am acquainted with the man himself - Greg Curbow and I will get with him and find out what Cort used to glue the fretboard on with. He does some work on these in his shop north of here and advises Cort on all of the production elements. Best to go to the source.

Let me stress a word about advice given and recieved here on the forum. Anyone can chime in and anyone can read the help given here. The open nature of the forum means that there will be all kinds of opinions offered. Some will be good and others will be poor to downright horribly wrong. I caution everyone that reads the Setup forum to do more research on their own on ANY subject you see discussed here. For every opinion and angle on the subject, there will be a dozen other equally passionate and sometimes(often?) correct opinions and angles elsewhere that you should know and investigate. I am not always correct - I just think I am :D and I get educated to the contrary daily - if only the lessons would sink in :scowl: I am still learning and if I am still at it, each one of you should do the same thing. If you choose to follow the advice set forth here in the Setup Forum, please pay some mind as to who it comes from, what their qualifications are, if they have a reputation either here on TB or out in the world, and are they making sense. Though this stuff isn't rocket science, it IS confusing enough that there can be some real damage done by following the wrong advice or following the right advice the wrong way. I just want to look out for you folks because I know that, while all of you are most certainly gifted and talented of musical artists, when the going gets abstract and mechanical concerning your basses, most of you would rather reprogram your VCR than deal with it. :D

10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    :eek:

Hambone the infallible is not infallible??

:spit: