Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing tube in hartke 7000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flury, Jun 16, 2004.

1. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    Im almost certain that the tube in my amp is bad. I get alot of distortion especially when im using a full tube preamp with no solid state engaged at all. Ive looked inside the thing once and saw only one tube so thats all I should need. What can I replace it with? Is one tube better/stronger than another? Any help...

2. yeah one is all you need just get a groove tubes 12ax7 there not to bad on price... it is very easy to change..

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Had the same problem with the 7000 I'd had since '93.
    Went to Sam Ash and their tech gave me the info on what 12**7 would be the best for the function it would be performing ( I guess there are differences ).
    That was 2 years ago and it's been great ever since.
    The tube is real easy to change.

4. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
  5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
  6. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    The description doesn't necessarily have to mention "preamp" as long as it is a 12AX7, which also goes by 7025 ("industrial" designation), ECC83 (English/UK designation). Some would suggest a lower gain tube, like a 12AT7, 12AU or 5751. The idea is that the lower gain will keep the input stage from overdriving/distorting the signal.

7. That's a 12AT7, which has a much lower gain.

For several selections of 12AX7, or most any other tube you desire, try Triode Electronics http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/index.html

Or Parts Express, www.partsexpress.com

The Groove tubes are just relabelled tubes made by other manufacturers. So go to Triode or Parts Express and get the "original" for half or a fourth of the price.

8. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    You can try the 12at7 if you like. But like nashvillebill said, it is a lower gain tube. I've tried a 5751, also lower gain then 12AX7 but a little more than the 12at7. I didn't like it as much as a 12AX7. I liked the option of overdriving the input stage.

I get my tubes from kcanostubes.com