Replacing Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eurus, Nov 21, 2000.

1. I was just wondering, how would I know if the tubes in my amp go out and should I be changing the tubes in my amp periodically?
  2. I have no idea what amp you have, but if you have to ask, your tubes are probably fine. You only need to change them when they go bad. You'll probably know it when that happens, smoke, loud horrible noise, etc. Preamp tubes can last a really long time, if not forever. Power tubes wear out after a few years or so, depending on use, but even then they usually still work, just with reduced power. You then have to make a judgement call on whether your amp doesn't sound as powerful as it once did. The process of the tubes wearing out is so slow, people usually don't notice it.

So the short answer is.... It depends. :D

3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I agree.

If you want to change cos they are cheap and nasty ones then go ahead but otherwise always start up and pwer down correctly and they should last ages.

I used a 70's amp for 9 yrs. I blew the output transformer and still have the original Mullards as spares.
  4. I don't think my tubes are bad. It's just a question I've always had, but the people that work at the local store can't really give me a good answer. Just thought I'd ask people who actually know what they're talking about!

By the way, what is proper startup and powerdown?
  5. Standby! No, I mean standby switch. Always power up with amp in standby mode. Same when you shut down, go to standby first. When on break, standby. This goes a long way in saving the tubes. As noted earlier, tubes can last years, if you take care of them. Let the amp cool before you load out. Hot tubes do not like to be disturbed!