1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

replacing tuners on a 68 p bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by salparadise, Feb 29, 2008.

1. salparadise

salparadise

Oct 11, 2006
    miami, fl
    hey guys, i recently picked up a 68 p bass which was actually made early that year, so it still has the features of a 67 before they changed the fender logo and location of the thumb rest. it's all original except for the tuners, which i'm not too crazy about. i figure if i'm going to replace them, i may as well try to hunt down some vintage ones. i'm not too sure about compatibility, though. do tuners from certain years not fit on other p basses? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

2. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    you are right, everytime Fender changed hands the tuners were changed too.

all pictures of '68 Precision that I saw shows the CBS style large cloverleaf tuners that appeared after the CBS buy-out and well into the early eighties:
    [​IMG]

pre-cbs ones are these (riveted type):
    [​IMG]
    these were used from '51 till mid 60s when CBS acquired Fender.

3. Is there a way to know whether the tuners you're about to order are going to match your headstock? In other words, what steps can I take to ensure that I won't have to drill any new holes in my headstock?

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If they're the correct tuners, they should fit the original holes, shouldn't they? From your post I gather that the tuners on it are incorrect replacements - so the original holes should be there.

5. I should be more clear - I'm speaking in general. In a somewhat unrelated topic (but pertinent nonetheless), I have a "frankenbass" with all-non-Fender parts to it that I recently acquired, and the tuners have had it...