Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing tuning keys on Geddy Lee Jazz with Schaller...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by feckn_eejit, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Hey all,

I just got a new GL Jazz, and the stock tuners really blow compared to the Schaller BMC's that came stock on my Rickenbacker...

The ones I need are the BMFLC, right? Just wanna do a bit of a sanity check before I go and order the wrong ones :)

--jeff

2. Went for the BMFLCs, hope they're the right ones.

Thanks for the help! :p

--jeff

3. Well they FINALLY arrived, they dropped right in easily and they beat the crap out of the stock Fender Japan tuning machines - the precicion is far better and they stay actually stay in tune!

--jeff

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have a Geddy Lee Jazz & I thought of replacing the Tuning Keys. Then I rehearsed with 3 different bands in 3 nites, left the bass in the case for all three nite & tuned the bass ONCE, at the begining of the 1st nite.

I agree the tuning keys arent the best & th Schallers are definittly better, but if it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it unless UI find a set really cheap. :)

5. I guess you had better luck with yours, Nino - Mine needed to be retuned at least once a day. No fun! It's much, much better now. I'm very glad I did it - not to mention it's much easier for me get the thing precicely in tune with the Schallers - I'd have to fiddle around for a while with the stock tuners.

Perhaps I had a really crummy stock set? Who knows. Ah well - I'm a happy camper now.

--jeff