Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing tuning machines

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, Nov 13, 2002.

1. There seems to have been a mini-spate of tuning machine questions lately, so I'll throw mine in:

I was thinking of replacing the machines on my old Engelhardt.

Are the two-on-a-plate machines pretty much universal, or am I better off getting the four individual machines? Is this a "get-thee-to-a-luthier" job?

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I just replaced the "plate" machines on my working bass with good-but-not-luxury quality "single" machines from www.uptonbass.com I'm real happy -- they're great gears and Gary always does square on the price.

If you go from plates to singles, there is the bonus of allowing more of your bee-yu-tiful headstock to show. The downside is that plates sometimes cover a multitude of luthiery sins. The only special tool I needed was a big honkin' reamer to slightly enlarge the holes.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Lemur sells the stock two to a plate machines. It's something you can do yourself. (Provided you lay the instrument down, mark the bridge location, maybe lay a weight on the top, and use a hand screwdriver to remove/install the little screws that hold the plate down.) Depending on the size of the holes, you also may want to use a >>slightly<< larger screw for the new machines. Home Depot/Lowe's type places have a good selection of silver/gold screws.

4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Is there a standard hole pattern for the two-on-a-plate machines? I mean, can you mount any type of these in the same holes?