Replacing tuning machines

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, Nov 13, 2002.

1. There seems to have been a mini-spate of tuning machine questions lately, so I'll throw mine in:

I was thinking of replacing the machines on my old Engelhardt.

Are the two-on-a-plate machines pretty much universal, or am I better off getting the four individual machines? Is this a "get-thee-to-a-luthier" job?
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I just replaced the "plate" machines on my working bass with good-but-not-luxury quality "single" machines from I'm real happy -- they're great gears and Gary always does square on the price.

If you go from plates to singles, there is the bonus of allowing more of your bee-yu-tiful headstock to show. The downside is that plates sometimes cover a multitude of luthiery sins. The only special tool I needed was a big honkin' reamer to slightly enlarge the holes.
  3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Lemur sells the stock two to a plate machines. It's something you can do yourself. (Provided you lay the instrument down, mark the bridge location, maybe lay a weight on the top, and use a hand screwdriver to remove/install the little screws that hold the plate down.) Depending on the size of the holes, you also may want to use a >>slightly<< larger screw for the new machines. Home Depot/Lowe's type places have a good selection of silver/gold screws.
  4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Is there a standard hole pattern for the two-on-a-plate machines? I mean, can you mount any type of these in the same holes?