Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing Wires

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sounbwoy, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    Hello all. Is there any advantage to be gained by replacing the wiring in a bass (active preamp) with a heavier gauge wire. My thinking is heavier gauge will allow more current (signal) to be transmitted, just like how we replace home stereo wiring with better stuff.
    OR, is it better to just replace the pickups?
    Thanks for input.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The best thing you can do to increase the signal purity of a bass or other electric instrument is to put shielding in it. The tiny voltages and really small currents involved in an electric instrument can go through 20GA wire easily with no noticeable coloration. Where thicker wires might make a difference is in proper shielding in cables, and in the instrument.

3. The load (current) that is on those wires is so small that the wires that are already in them are probably 10 times bigger than what you really need in practice.

You jumped from changing the wires to replacing the pickups...that's odd...

first off, try explaining what you think is wrong with your bass...

noisy, weak, tone...???

4. Sounbwoy

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    There's nothing wrong with the bass. It was just a theory/wondering if changing the wires would provide better sound. As far as replacing pickups, there have been a few people I've seen on the 'Net that have the bass I do (Hohner BBassV) that have complained about the pickups and replaced them. I like how my bass sounds and it fits (to me) with what I play, but it doesn't hurt to try and get more out of it if possible. So, I'll get it shielded and maybe have them try to dress the wiring a little. If there's one thing about this bass I don't like, it how haphazard the wiring appears to be. :spit:

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You seem pretty hell-bent on getting those wires replaced, don'tcha?

-Ray

6. Sounbwoy

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    :) C'mon now. The other person needed an explanation so I gave it to him. I'm not going to replace anything, but the second poster verified an article I read in Bass PLayer or the other mag. In their tech article they were rebuilding either a P or Jazz bass and they shielded the electronics cavity. If you've ever seen the inside of a Hohner BbassV, you'd want to do something about it too. It's like a rat's maze in there.