1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing XLR's with Speakons question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tonegasm, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I have a Trace Elliot 1084H 8x10 cabinet (4 ohms, 640 watts) with XLR and 1/4" input and link jacks. I'd like to replace the XLR jacks with Speakon connectors but I'm not sure how to wire it up.

Given the images below, how would should this be wired?

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDctMjAxMDEwMjktMTczMi5qcGc.
    utf-8BSU1HMDA0MDYtMjAxMDEwMjktMTczMS5qcGc-1.

2. You connect the possitive cable of both input and output to 1+, and the Negative cables to 1- on the speakon connectors.

3. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Thanks. If you notice, the XLR's are wired opposite of each other. Does this affect the wiring to the Speakons?

4. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    No. That's because the XLRs are Male and Female. The pin numbers are the same just the positions are reversed on male and female plugs.

5. XLR connectors on a speaker!?
    That's really strange.

6. That because the Pin out for XLr connector is different.

[​IMG]

7. Trace Elliot used them in their old cabs.

8. Remove the XLR sockets and install the speakons in the same hole. You'll likely find the holes to be 15/16" and that's what's needed. I mount using 1/8" pop rivets, knock out the metal ends left inside the rivets. I use the broken slug to knock them out. Seal the holes with sealant.

Check the polarity of the speakers with a 9V battery. When the cones move out from the magnet structure the wire touching the positive battery terminal is positive no matter what colour it is. The positive wire goes to +1 and is linked to the other +1. Negative to -1 linking to the other -1, You can link the +2s to each other and the -2s to each other. Not really needed but it does allow connectivity on the second pair should it be needed.

9. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    XLR's on speakers used to be quite common.

10. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    You guys are great. Thanks much!

11. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Wired it, soldered it, assembled it, and it rumbles like woah.

Thanks for everyone's help!

12. Post Pics of the cab please.

13. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Here's a picture of the cab. Sounds GREAT!

[​IMG]

14. That's beatiful! I would like to have an 8x10" but I wouldn't be even able to move one around.

15. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Thank you, sir! I can't say I move this often, if at all. My Avatar B410 Neo is the cab that gets brought to gigs due to its lightweight.