Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing Your Jazz Bass Neck...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Jan 18, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I decided to replace my Jazz Bass neck, which has a stripped truss rod (don't ask). I thought I'd contribute the story to others via this forum.

I ordered a Mightymite all maple Jazz Bass neck from Victor Litz Music's internet site. They're located in Maryland, and I'm in Hawaii. I ordered it in August. It just arrived due to a back order problem with the factory. It took only 2 days to get here via UPS.

Anyway, it's a perfect Fender replacement neck. It's stamped licensed by Fender on the back of the headstock. It's a perfect fit into my bass's body neck pocket. It also has the distinctive Fender-shaped headstock. Here's the kicker... it's constructed like a 60-70s Fender maple neck. It's one solid piece of maple (not like many modern maple necks which actually are comprised of a maple fretboard laminated to a maple neck back) with the "skunk stripe" in the back. I believe the difference in construction can affect tone. The one piece neck seems to have more snap, punch, and high end.

It already had a light satin lacquer finish. I decided to try a do-it-yourself clear high gloss lacquer finish. I wanted to do this with out investing in a complete compressor and spray gun set up. So I did some research on the net, and I'm working on it this week with a can of Behlen's Jet Spray nitrocellulose-based high gloss clear lacquer and 000 steel wool. I just sprayed on my third coat. I'm still deciding whether to go to a total of four coats or six coats.

I'll post a picture a soon as I recharge the batteries for the digital camera.

By the way, I forgot to say that the neck cost $99 and the can of lacquer and steel wool was less than $9.

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Hey could you try reposting the pics. I'm not seeing them and am considering a similar fit-out. Did it come with the frets in.

4. Nope, still doesn't seem to work. I'm interested in this thread because I'm going to be replacing my fretless jazz neck with a fretted one come summer time.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'll email them

6. thanks man! :D

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey gfab333,

Good to see another Honolulu resident here...