Replacing Your Jazz Bass Neck...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Jan 18, 2002.

1. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I decided to replace my Jazz Bass neck, which has a stripped truss rod (don't ask). I thought I'd contribute the story to others via this forum.

I ordered a Mightymite all maple Jazz Bass neck from Victor Litz Music's internet site. They're located in Maryland, and I'm in Hawaii. I ordered it in August. It just arrived due to a back order problem with the factory. It took only 2 days to get here via UPS.

Anyway, it's a perfect Fender replacement neck. It's stamped licensed by Fender on the back of the headstock. It's a perfect fit into my bass's body neck pocket. It also has the distinctive Fender-shaped headstock. Here's the kicker... it's constructed like a 60-70s Fender maple neck. It's one solid piece of maple (not like many modern maple necks which actually are comprised of a maple fretboard laminated to a maple neck back) with the "skunk stripe" in the back. I believe the difference in construction can affect tone. The one piece neck seems to have more snap, punch, and high end.

It already had a light satin lacquer finish. I decided to try a do-it-yourself clear high gloss lacquer finish. I wanted to do this with out investing in a complete compressor and spray gun set up. So I did some research on the net, and I'm working on it this week with a can of Behlen's Jet Spray nitrocellulose-based high gloss clear lacquer and 000 steel wool. I just sprayed on my third coat. I'm still deciding whether to go to a total of four coats or six coats.

I'll post a picture a soon as I recharge the batteries for the digital camera.

By the way, I forgot to say that the neck cost $99 and the can of lacquer and steel wool was less than $9.
  2. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Hey could you try reposting the pics. I'm not seeing them and am considering a similar fit-out. Did it come with the frets in.
  3. Nope, still doesn't seem to work. I'm interested in this thread because I'm going to be replacing my fretless jazz neck with a fretted one come summer time.
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'll email them
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey gfab333,

Good to see another Honolulu resident here...