replacment fretless neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexHunt, Aug 13, 2005.

1. AlexHunt

Aug 13, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    i want to get a replacment fretless neck for my squier p-bass so i can learn how to play fretless and play some jazz stuff... will the the p-bass pickups sound good for fretless playing? i dont really want to buy a fender fretless jazz bass a. beause its mexican made b. it has the white lines wich i dont like... or is their pesific p-bass picups that it will sound good with.
  2. Fender did make fretless P-basses so your pickups should be fine. It will just sound like a fretless p-bass. I'm not sure what you have in mind with the sound that you will get. It will be very different from a Fender Jazz of course. If you are looking for that Jaco type sound, it won't happen because of the different types of pickups. That sound comes mostly from the jazz pickup near the bridge. If you are happy with the sound of your p-bass now you will be happy with the fretless sound from it too.

One thing you will want to check out is the price of a replacement fretless neck. A good one from say Warmoth probably cost as much as your Squier did. They do come unlined and are cheaper than the lined necks. There maybe other cheaper alternatives out there though, I have never checked.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First of all, the P-bass pickup isn't good or bad for fretless... it's different from what you're used to. Personally, as a P-bass lover and an occasional fretless player, I don't dig the tone, but that's me. Not you.

a. Mexican made... what does that have to do with the price of chicken? Honestly, a Fender is a Fender and regardless of where it's made, it's still a Fender. The instrument you're playing is either Chinese or Indonesian, Mexican quality is definately a step up.

b. White lines, now there's an argument some make. But for a beginner, I'd recommend them. Easy to get lost on a blank 20 something inches of neck. I've been playing fretless on and off for about a year and still am very glad I have fretlines.