replacments for a spector

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basslax, Jun 20, 2003.

1. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    so i have a spector NS2000/4 - the neckthrough korean model..

ive had it for a while and never really liked the bridge PU at all so now im thinking of replacing it. any spector owners out there have any preferences? im playing rock and dub/reggae/jazz so i want a tone basicaly like Eric from sublime (on self titled) if you know what im talking about. its just all bass. so what pickups could provide that sound? i heard he used a stingray so could i get a stingray style alnico pickup from carvin or something or even seyour and put it in my spector for the same/similar sound? i assume that would also provide a good slap sound too right? i cant put in a J because the hole there is for a soapbar so i need something at least that big.

currently on the spector are EMG HZs (nothing great) and an activfe preamp.

thanks everyone
  2. I have EMG-HZ's in mine and when I get money, Im thinking either going for EMG's or barts... Since I got a bass with barts in it... damn, I love heir sound. If that really helps at all
  3. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    what do you guys think about using a big MM style PU in there? id have to cut up teh bass a little to fit it in, but if i did so would it even approach the sound of a stingray?
  4. As the bass has the EMG preamp - have you considered adding another battery in series and running the preamp at 18 volts?

I have done this with 3 of my Spectors - one of them a REX2000/5, which also has EMH Hz pickups! It sounds fabulous now, all for about $1 and 5 mins of your time!
  5. What's the difference between EMG-HZs and EMGs?

In other words, why would I want to swap?

6. The EMG Hz pickups are passive pickups that feed into the preamp. These are stock on a lot of manufacturers basses - not sure if you can actually buy them over the counter!

EMG DC pickups - one example of many (DC40s are the ones I have on my NS5CR Spector) are active. These have a higher output into the preamp. In practise I have found that the difference means a slightly higher output into the amp and a bit more tonal variation.

I have the EMG DC 40s in my NS5CR and EMG Hzs in my REX2000/5 - both have the same pre-amp and are both wired to 18 volts. I all honesty, the Hzs are pretty good pickups to start with!
  7. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i have tried the 18v and it helped, but the sound was still too "modern". i want a warmer and thicker sound, and the bridge HZ is way to thin (sound-wise) anyway.

thats why i was thinking about replacing it with a MM, but does anyone have a suggestion for me? Barts? SD? Emg? I might just change out both for new humbuckers, i dont really know at this point.

8. Hmmm, I would suggest that you could try EMG DC 35s (I think 35s are the 4 string soapbar pups). These should be a drop in replacement. However, these might still have that 'modern' sound that you don't seem overly keen on!

Right, now I'm out of my depth, as I don't have much experience with other pickups.

All I have in my collection are Spectors with EMGs, Fender with stock pups and a preamp, Guild with stock pup (DiMarzio I think), and the Yammay Attitude with DiMarzios. Hmmm, now there's a possibility, but it would involved some woodwork maybe - the DiMarzio Willpower Neck pup, its a nice fat sounding (passive) pickup. Check out:-

It's the pickup under the raised bit of the pickguard in the attached picture! Apparently Billy Sheehan added a Gibson EB0 humbucker to the neck position of a P-bass to get a fatter sound!
  9. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i did the 18v again, and im pretty sure it had no affect on my tone. as for volume, im not sure yet. if you wanna hear my horrible playing before and after the mod i attached an mp3. the first time through is 9v second is 18v. i think youll be surpirsed.

anyway, any idea what model barts i could use, and where i can buy them (online)? and if i was to get some would i have to get a new preamp or could i just drop them in and reconnect the wires and use my emg active preamp?
  10. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. I tried the 18v upgrade with my ns2000/5 and didn't notice even the slightest change in tone or anything.

I thought it was rather odd considering how many people here have raved about how much the upgrade improved their sound...

I think I'll be replacing my EMG-HZ's with some of those EMG-TW series pickups and an Aguilar OPB-1 pre once I get around to it....
  11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey, I'd reccoment bartolinis, and soon after that a new preamp. The bartolinis are very warm and funky.
  12. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    maybe all those people got the tone improvment from just getting a fresh battery in there, regardless of 9 or 18v. :confused:

TMO- any specific model reccomendations for the PUs and/or preamp?
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Silly question... what kind of strings are you using? They can have a major effect on your tone.

I like Barts, they just seem to have a warmer, more full sound than most EMG installs I've heard. I learned that the hard way, I actually had Paul Reed Smith swap out the Bart pickups in my 78 Tobias for what I think are DC35 EMGs. By the time I figured out that I really preferred the original Barts I couldn't find them:D. Now I've located one and if I find the other one in the black hole I call a basement (I know it's in there) I'll have some "vintage" EMGs to get rid of ;)

I don't know of anyone who carries Barts locally... I know a couple of builders who may be able to order some. I think Bass NW is a dealer too.

One last thing... I've pretty much given up on trying to improve or fix the sound of a bass I have issues with. At best I'ver heard marginal improvement and it didn't justify the expense IMO. Find something that does sound like you want it to. Just a thought.
  14. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    believe me, ive tried all kinds of strings, since march ive had D'Addario Slow wounds, Fender flats, DR brights and thomastik (i work at a music store..40% discount :D)

anyway, i love the bass and i could never get rid of it, its just that ive noticed how thin the bridge pickup is and i havent heard too many great reviews for the HZs anyway, so i figured why not replace them both.

chad :ninja:
  15. I suspect the thinness of tone is because the bridge p/up on the Spector is very close to the bridge- so it's very unlikely you'll be able to get a stingray or Jazz bass bridge p/up sound out of it.

the sound from the bridge p/up on my Hohner B2A is very thin as well (EMG select humbuckers)- and the both p/ups full-on sound is too hollow for my liking.

I got a stingray-like sound by fitting a third pickup (a kent armstrong humbucker) next to the bridge p/up.

you could do the same on your Spector- if there's space you could fit an MM-type p/up, possibly in the exact stingray spot.
    3 pickups might look a bit odd, though.
  16. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    that was my original plan, replace the bridge with a MM style bart and leaving the neck for upgrade later.
  17. -I meant fitting an MM between the two existing p/ups (the stingray spot would be there)
  18. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    well yeah, but i dont want to butcher this beautiful bass. :D

so i figured i would enlarge the bridge pu hole. cus if i did install a MM, i wouldnt have any more use for the bridge PU