Replecement bridge on Carvin LB75

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Damian, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    I've looked and could't find anything about that on the board so here is goes.

I'm kinda thinking about improving my Carvin step by step. I'm still working on the preamp ( I got some new gear and couldn't afford to get one JUST yet, but will pretty soon )

BTW, I've been busy lately because : I'M GETTING MARRIED on the Valentine's Day :):)

Anyway, I'm thinking about replacing the bridge for something more sofisticated and stable. The saddles on the bridge give me a hard time ( especially the saddle on the G string ).

Do you havy any ideas on what to put there instead ?

Thanks for all your help

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Alot of people swear by the Badass II. I don't know if it would line up right over the pup poles or encounter any other problems. I never looked into it much because the HipShot on my LB75 works just fine for me and I haven't ever seen anyone on the web complaining about the LB HipShot. Maybe you got a lemon. Steve Lawson has written good things about the Badass.

Valentines, huh? Smart guy!!! Now you can kill 2 birds with one stone, er, anniversary present. ;)

3. Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah, I've heard good things about Badass but have no idea about If it would line up right and all either.

Anyone ?

As far as the Anniversary present, every person I've told about the wedding said the same thing :)
    Naahhh, I just think it will be kinda romantic :)
  4. A BadassII wouldn't be a problem because the saddles come plain so you or your repairman can cut the grooves where you want them. If you are gonna do this I would suggest that you have a repairman do the grooving, hopefully they will have the right size files and can take the measurements to get the grooves in the right place, done right it is a great upgrade done wrong it will suck.

Measure twice, then do it again.

BTW what is the original bridge on your bass ? Carvin generally has done very well in that department.
  5. Along the lines of what Bassbrad has said, what are you trying to accomplish with the upgrade? If your bridge has worn out (?) perhaps Carvin would replace. I don't own a Carvin but everybody seems to rave about them.

The most sophisticated bridge I own is the ABM. These are available from All-Parts and are the finest specimens of machining and low tolerance fit of anything I've seen. Our own John Turner swears by 'em and he's got lot riding on them :) BUT, and it's a pretty big but for a guy just getting married, they cost some pretty long green compared to other bridges. You won't be disappointed by their performance though.
  6. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Which bridge is on your bass? Is it the older Wilkinsen bridge that Carvin used to use, or the Hipshot bridge that Carvin currently uses? I have one with a Wilkinsen bridge and it sucks IMO. The saddles slide around when you replace strings and tune etc. The reason I ask is that I was going to replace it with the newer Hipshot so I am curious if that is the bridge you are having trouble with? If so I will look elsewhere for a better bridge. You can get the hipshot for around 50 bucks from Carvin.

[Edited by mubiksski on 02-03-2001 at 11:03 AM]
  7. Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    I got Hipshot ( the bass is few months old ). It's just I must feel that the bridge is stable and solid and like you said the saddles doesn't slide around that bad but some of them do sometimes. They look and feel "cheap" to me. I don't know why people are swearing by them ( maybe because they have still in mind bridges like Wilkinsen, etc ).

I'll probably get ABM or Badass II( money it's not an issue ). I'll let you guys know what I decided.

Thaaaaaank you all for help.