1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replica,Replicate...Who's Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millsbass5, Apr 12, 2009.

1. O.K.,Fender has numerous signature replica basses and guitars out(Jaco replica,Rory Gallagher guitar,etc).Other companies are doing it too.

My question:What famous "exact replica"signature bass would you like to see put into production?We're talking scratches,scuffs,warts and all.

(1)Billy Sheehans' "wife bass" (For this,I would pay big $$$$)
    (2)Jack Casadys' Alembic Bass
    (3)John Deacon's P-Bass
    (4)Victor Bailey's Koa Bass
    (5)Steve Harris' Blue Sparkle P-Bass
    (6)Marcus Miller's J-Bass
    (7)Leland Sklar's Yamaha BB-Bass
    (8)Victor Wooton's Fodera (w/whammy!!!)

NOTE:I know some of these are in production,but not EXACT replicas.

Oh,Pete Wentz replica too,how could I forget.

2. allotabass

allotabass Guest

3. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Some of my favorite players either don't have iconic basses that are so closely identified with them, or already have replica basses that are just prohibitively expensive.

I don't know much about Carl Thompson basses, other than Les Claypool uses them and they're custom made. It would be cool to have something like the Rainbow Bass, though.

Cliff Burton's Rickenbacker would be a cool one to replicate.

John Entwistle's Buzzard Bass already has replicates.

Not sure if there was anything particularly unique about James Jamerson's bass, but if there was, that would be a cool one.

4. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    OK here are some,

Mike Watts Gibson
    Lemmys "Born to Lose" Ric
    Simon from the Clash's P bass
    Flea's Fender Jazz (Shell pink)
    Cliff Burton's Ric

I wouldn't mind seeing authentic ones of those. (I wouldn't wanna see the price though:eek:)

5. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Mine! It's not a particularly good instrument, but I've owned it since 1980.

6. -Phil Lesh's Godfather

7. machell

machell

Jun 6, 2006
    Auckland, NZ
    + 1 big time.

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    A. Leland Sklar's studio bass- the Warmoth body, '62 P neck, mandolin frets, dual EMG P Bass pickups (reveresed), Hipshot Xtender key, and all those autographs.

B. Freebo's fretless Precision with the Jazz PUP in the bridge

C. Anthony Jackson's "Career Girl". A Jazz with a P-Bass neck!!!! The best of both worlds!

jte

9. Korladis

Is that the one with the "Producer Switch" that actually does nothing?

10. shawn2000

shawn2000

Mar 2, 2004
    Logan, UT
    Dee Dee Ramone Precision

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I find replicas rather a lame idea, so none for me.

12. Just to make you guys super jealous - look at this!!!! This pic was taken in London's The Gallery when Pino last had Martin do some setup work on the fretless Stingray and his Fiesta Red and sunburst P-Basses.

fretless.

So, I have played the famous fretless Stingray, and the two P-Basses which Fender used as a basis for Pino's Signature Custom Shop model (the sig model was based upon the body of one bass, with the neck profile from his sunburst P-bass you see), And Pino was, as ever, the perfect gentleman - with hands the size of a bunch of bananas! And yes, he is as tall as he looks in the pics. I am 6 foot 1 and he towers over me.

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Hmm... I don't know. No pictures I've seen of it, nor any interviews I've read mention it. But I do know that Emory Gordy (session bassist on Elvis' "Hunk of Burnin' Love" as well as for Emmylou Harris, Roseanne Cash, Rodney Crowell, et. al. and he's also Patty Loveless' husband) had a P bass with a switch that didn't do anything which he used to placate engineers and producers. That's from a Guitar Player Magazine interview back in the '80s when there were no bass magazines.

Is there any credible evidence that Sklar had something similar which he talks about? I just don't recall hearing any stores of Leland mentioning it.

I also recall from Tommy Tedesco's "Studio Log" column in GP that he once (at least) was asked to try several different guitars for a producer. He was hidden behind the gobos so he just bent over for a few seconds, and using the exact same guitar gave the producer his choice of a Tele, 335, and whatever else came to his mind...

jte

14. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The Funk Machine.
    Dirk Lance's SSII.
    Flea's ol' Modulus with all the stickers.

15. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    johnny christ's white with deathbat logo stingray

16. Korladis

A couple days ago, forget which thread, someone mentioned that Lee Sklar had a "producer switch" that he'd flick if he was getting complained at in the studio.

17. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    That's what I thought. Like I said, I've never seen anything with Sklar talking about it, but it's something that pops up on various 'net things.

jte

18. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I will take this one --->

610x.

19. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    + gazillions

20. Either Bootsy's original Space Bass/ Starburst Bass or his newer gold theme Space Bass.
    MMMMMMMM...