replicating NIN's "Closer" effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jammadave, Nov 20, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Now, I know it's a synth doing that bassline thru Closer, but is there any stomp out there that can approximate it with a bass geetar? I'd think envelope filter plus some chorus, but I tried a bunch of that last night to no avail - do I need to go all out "synth pedal" here?
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I would think an envelope filter set to a slow gate might work.
  3. kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    anyone else have any ideas??
  4. Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    My Moog Lowpass Filter nails this tone EXACTLY. The only way it would be better would be if I had another one in series doing a downward sweep.
  5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    EHX Bass Micro Synthesizer.

The filter should work nicely for this, since it's cleaner than the usual filter, and uni-directional (which is what it sounds like to me in this song).

I'm not sure about sensitivity, however... I probably should've tried playing that bassline before I sold my BMS... but then I'd probably still be poor and toting a huge pedalboard. :D
  6. kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I think you'd have issues getting that out of a BMS. When you trigger the filter you trigger the whole sweep - it wouldn't do that subtle sweep on the lower notes.

The filter I think sounds closest to that is the EBS BassIQ, although I only spent about an hour with one and it was ages ago.
  7. +1 for the Moog.

I just tried it and it sounds very similar.
  8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Hmm... well, you could tweak the Rate and tailor the sweep range accordingly.

But yeah, I think you're right - the Moog LPF and EBS Bass IQ would have a better shot at this tone, because of how they work in comparison.
  9. kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    One thing I used to do (before I rewired my board and subsequently became UNable to do it - must fix that...) was run through both a BMS and a Q-Tron. Can't remember what order...

Anyway, I'd set the trigger on the BMS quite high so I really had to deliberately trigger it, so I had the Q-Tron doing all the general quacky envelope stuff but could stick in the occasional "NEEEOOOWW" from the BMS on key notes.

With a low peak on the Q-Tron to cover the subtle burp on those lower notes you could probably nail Closer quite nicely with that setup.
  10. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    The Deep Impact approximates it... Though, having sold my DI, I played it tonight sans effects on a sub gig.

I love the tones of both the DI and Unibass but I've broken one too many of each to lean on either.

That said... I've found the Unibass more difficult to replace because of the chordal capability... Perhaps a HOG is in my future.
  11. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    I've got a Digitech Bass Synth. Any way I could get an approximate tone from this?
  12. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Washington DC
    I ain't got paid to play in months
    I got pretty close with an Ibanez AW-7. LPF mode, a little drive before and the manual almost all the way anticlockwise.

Another way to get it is by going going wah >> flanger. I used a Morley PWO wah and a Dano FAB Flange and again got reasonably close.
  13. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Ditto. I don't think I've been able to get anything like that out of mine, but then again, I've never actively tried.