1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Report: all tube amp, obscure bass models, and a mic'd cab! Oh my!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scuzzy, Oct 28, 2018.

1. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Long post, likely no one cares anyway, just expressing some happiness on this dark landscape known as the interwebs. I played this morn at the church we attend. I have been very happily using a Line 6 Pod HD500X direct to the board, and running into the effects return of the bass amp (for stage volume), as to bypass the EQ section. It sounds really nice, and is incredibly versatile when needed.

I recently got a steal on an all tube amp, the Bugera 1960 infinium, which is basically a Marshall Super Lead clone. Great reports on bass, so I spent the cash burning a hole in my pocket. In my practice room, it soundged great, but I was nervous to play it out. I was nervous it wouldn't handle the dub, only the grind. I was nervous for nothing.

Thankfully, the music leader let me run my cab mic'd. We had a spare Audix D2 not being used, and it worked great. He actually was able to shut off the eq and run it straight with only the hpf and lpf engaged. We were afraid it would be a tedious sound check, going from direct to mic'd, but he said all he needed was to disable eq and to bump the gain. The cab is an Avatar 2x10 with celestion *gasp* BN10-300X speakers. I really love this cab. I read very few positives on celestion bass speakers, but this cab sounds fantastic. Goes a fair bit lower than my Ampeg B15 cab, which I also love for different reasons.

So....

I can't remember a day I was happier with my sound. I ran compression into the amp, and with my Ovation magnum, I used a boost pedal to bring up the signal and gain to match the Big Al. I know it's not a highly touted tube amp, but it sounded fantastic. Our lead guy couldn't describe why he loved it, but he said it felt and sounded different, more full, and better than he had heard in the past. The amp did dub and grind equally well. I had to cut the bass and mids on the amp a bit, it was shaking my fillings. I was only able to get on the edge of breakup with my magnum when digging in and the gain pedal engaged. It has ample headroom. I was pushing my stage volume pretty good. Overall, I didn't think I could be happier spending that little, or even a lot more. I would love an SVT and fridge, but it's too impractical for the venue. 100 watts, 2x10's, and some nice basses, I was loving it. I think I understand why people stick with the tubes. It has a feel I can't quite quantify.

I still love my other SS and class D amps, they are great, but this one is now firmly in the rotation. It just sounded too good. The sound guy commented on how much he liked my bass tone halfway through rehearsal, but we did a swap and check before he arrived, so I doubt he even noticed the amp change and mic'd cab. It all fit like a glove.

Have a great Sunday...

20181028_113333_HDR.

2. Welcome to thehe dark side. We hide in corners with our little tube amps and microphones waiting to ambush soundmen.

3. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Those Bugera units show up in the local CL for dirt cheap all the time. Gotta check one out

4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Cool beans. Thanks for sharing your happy experience. (I've never played a Big Al, but that one looks nice, by the way.)

5. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Gold Supporting Member

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Congrats brother!!!! Great looking rig, and basses!!!! Glad it turned out well for ya!!! God Bless!!!!

scuzzy likes this.
  6. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Ty. Due to sickness, we didn't have rehearsal earlier in the week, so we had to do a run through of all songs morning of. I asked if I could completely change up my signal chain as well and go from DI to mic. He said sure, but warned if it was getting long to EQ and set levels, I would likely need to abandon and just go with the POD. Thankfully it all worked out beautifully. He came 15 minutes earlier to accommodate, stand up fella.

Worth taking a long look at. Mine was only $175. Well worth every penny.

The big Al has taken over as my #1. They are awesome instruments. The Sterling necks are Uber comfy.

Ty, it was a great Sunday morning.

7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I'm not familiar with Bugera equipment at all, but a functioning all-tube amp (that sounds good) for that price is quite a bargain. The bonus is that it is in good cosmetic shape also. God showed his favor with this! :)

Pbassmanca and scuzzy like this.
  8. Awesome stuff. I’m a big fan of tube amps for the very reasons listed. Even a bassman 50 through an old JBL E140 can be surprisingly effective from experience. Best wishes!

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The crazy part is those amps are kinda like the least valve amps for bass have to offer. Infiniums with pre valve issues are pretty common, plug and play to fix.

10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I don't understand your whole post :D, but I already have some pre tubes in my Amazon cart, just waiting to purchase . The highs weren't as brittle live as I anticipated they would be, so I'm holding off for now.

11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I've picked up about half a dozen inifinums with problems cheaply, and it has usually been preamp valves causing the issue.

scuzzy likes this.

12. When I was a young'un I had a Marshall Major head, it was a 200 watt all tube bass amp (they made both lead and bass Majors) and I loved it, too damn expensive now to buy another one.

kentiki, higain617 and scuzzy like this.
  13. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Sounds like a nice rig. A lower watt tube head and good 210 are great for lower volume gigs like church and recording. HAve fun!

14. I do a similar thing when I'm playing outdoors or don't have a bunch of PA support. I use a Zoom B3 unti the effects return of my Peavey Alphabass into a Bill Fitzmaurice Jack 210. It fills a room nicely with all the warmth I could need and has a way more versatile pre than the amp does by itself.

If I have proper support I wuss out and bring my TC BG250-208.

15. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I would love to use my svt and diy 212 at church. It sounds so much better than my VTDI but we all silent stage and whatnot now. I doubt anyone would notice a huge difference but me but that warm tube tone is my favorite.

16. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I frustrate the lady singers on occasion with the bass or drums when I drum, but the lead guy loves it, so the band plays on.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    CRich0205 likes this.
  17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Whatever works for you. In my case, it was a "DIY"/Warmoth bass and a couple of pedals that nailed the tone I wanted on Sunday. However, you get there, if it gets you there...that's the point.

scuzzy likes this.
  18. It sounds like it is doing exactly what you want and need.
    I would so recover the head to match that cab.
    Remove both name plates and let folks think it is a high dollar custom rig. ;)

scuzzy likes this.