Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

report on my new ebs hd350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by narud, Feb 10, 2003.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    so, i just got my hd350 from fellow tb'er bethanybass. turns out i really dig it. it isnt that suprising though considering it sounds very similar to my eden wt800. the ebs set flat sounds just like the eden set flat except for the bass shelving control turned back a few clicks. the main way i run my eden is flat except for a boost a around 12k on the semi parametric. with the ebs' bass control turned up a smidge and the bright knob turned up the two heads sound nearly identical. unless my ears are hearing something completely different than other people, i cant really understand the complaints from people saying that the eden heads sound too colored, but then praising the ebs head.

for reference, im playing these heads through epifani 410 and 210 cabs using a fodera emperor5 and a fretless f 5.

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That's an interesting report, narud.

I have a WT-800 and a Fafner. I haven't really compared the two amps but kinda feel, so far, that the they sound a bit different to my ears. The Fafner seems a bit more up front.

Both are great amps. I run both amps pretty much flat.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Aren't the Fafner and the 350 two VERY different heads?

brad cook

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Well yes...but kinda no, too.

I found alot of similarities in the basic tone of the HD350 and the Fafner. Of course the Fafner has more power and the tube drive circuit.

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    all of the testing was done without ever using the drive control. that of course adds another dimension that the eden doesnt have.

id like to try out the ebs with a couple of 1x12 cabs. it seems to have a good bit of juice to it for its moderate power rating. when using it with my 8 ohm 410, i was able to get suprisingly loud while staying clean with the 200 or so watts it was putting out at that load.