1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Repositioning the Band 4 different ways

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PauFerro, Apr 15, 2015.

1. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Some companies will take the same product (like shampoo), and simply package it up different ways, and sell the same product in a high priced bottle at Macy's, and the same shampoo in a low priced bottle at Wal-Mart.

There's a band in my town that has been doing this for a while with music, and it works pretty well it seems. I've done the same thing with jazz ...core of jazz standards (1.5 hours) and then 1.5-2 hours of
    either Latin, Smooth, or Female Vocal jazz -- each band under a different name that expresses its unique emphasis in jazz , but with many musicians in common.

The rock group below did one show -- same musicians, two different bands playing different music (and dressed differently) for our local radio station, backing up Tears for Fears a while ago. It was only when someone told me afterwards it was the same set of musicians -- dressed differently, playing different music.

Here is what I mean -- these are the same guys -- but they have a different band name, with a core of classic rock hits, but then play a number of other tunes that have a different emphasis within rock.

Nerd Ranger (Classic rock)
    Nerd Ranger - iLoveSwitch

Switch (80's)
    Switch - iLoveSwitch

Def Lepprechaun (Metal Hair Band with a twist)
    Def Lepprechaun - iLoveSwitch

More -- Simply Redneck.

What do you think of the concept?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  2. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Those guys are great, both bands really partying the crowds there.

3. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Great idea. Filling just 1 niche is seldom enough.

4. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Yeah, I wanted to do this with our band, but with slightly different lineups, with the same core, but add some musicians for the other band names.

funny thing, I know some guys who did this and opened for themselves. they put on some silly wigs and costumes and played 80's hair metal. Then came out and played 90's rock/grunge as another band and different attire.

vmabus and PauFerro like this.
  5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    There's a hot country band around here that does the same thing ... they have a "retro country" show, a Johnny Cash Tribute, a Merle Haggard Tribute, and a couple members do an acoustic duo. The first band works bars and such, the last (duo) coffee houses and such, and the tribute projects play theaters, festivals and the like. Keeps the key players working steady, and the variety provided by a changing line up of supporting players/vocals keeps it from getting too much like a job.

One of the frequent posters here, bwardmusic, manages a number of projects in the same way.

6. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    It wouldn't surprise me if the country band is busy. I just finished an insanely busy period due to repositioning groups within jazz. Plus the musicians work at different rates so you can give clients a range of prices, which tends to help you get the gig -- particularly if other bands are only quoting one price, and you've got music in all different price ranges.

MattZilla likes this.
  7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    George Clinton did it with the P-Funk gang. Why not??

8. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    That's funny! Judging by the identical avatar & the very similar thread title/content style, I'm guessing bwardmusic has undergone a username change and is PauFerro, the OP!

PauFerro likes this.
  9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    My country band is toying with the idea of a George Strait tribute act. If we can find a market for it (read: not more bar gigs), then we'll go for it.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I figure that a successful band can easily saturate its own local market, so the ability to present a few different acts might be a way to get over that hump without having to travel extensively. Anything to keep more musicians working.

11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I have friends that switch hit with mostly the same members as an 80s tribute. A metal band. A country band. A top 40 dance band. And a swing/ rockabilly band.. why the hell not?

12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I'd like to read some specifics on this
    "Yah, if you wan a trio with regional award winning Jill Beans on piano, Carl Apple on bongos and myself on bass it'll be a bit more than if I bring elderly clarinetists Red Roap and Mikey Way and their percussionist/granddaughter Heather Graham."

13. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    that's kind of it. I found a lot of non-profits and restaurants would want to hire us but for less money than would excite the average pro player. I got tired of these pro players laughing at me, scoffing at the pay, or at the end of the gig, indicating the pay should have been higher. Sometimes they express dismay at the pay, or say "I'll do it this time for you as a favor". Then I hear they are out working for that same low rate of pay at other venues. I found that kind of wearing after a while, and saw that they were simply trying to discipline the BL to ask clients for more money.

So, rather than put up with that, I formed a third group of what I call "emerging players". They are competent musicians (sight readers, know music in general) but didn't know jazz that well. They wanted to improve their improv chops, or learn standards. They work for less money than the pros do (happily -- they never complain about the pay, even when it's low). So, when I get a client who ends their request with a quote with the statement "and by the way, I'm on a tight budget" -- I will then quote this "low end band" at a lower rate than usual in my suite of band offerings.

Another way people get paid differently is when we have a singer. She shows up at the end of the first set, does four or five songs in the middle set and then leaves. I do not pay her the full rate of the cats who are hauling gear, rehearsing 35 songs, and performing the whole night.

And last of all, as BL, I get a bigger take than the other musicians on some gigs. It's usually not much more, but it's often more -- so that's how different musicians attract different pay rates.

14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    We've quoted prices for 3, 4, 5, or 6 pieces. Since we have a minimum per man policy, it gives the client a choice that fits their budget. Seems to work well. If we have a keys AND pedal steel player it gets pricey ... but the music is worth it ... ;)

15. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    i love carl apple