1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reputable luthier for J Bass mods

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm kicking around putting my Geddy's neck on a Warmoth J bass body (flame maple on koa). Pickups are going to be Dark Stars, w/ Badass II bridge.

I know Warmoth won't do the routing, was wondering if anyone can recommend a reputable luthier that can do it right the first time through; since this is going to be a $500 body, I can't afford mistakes.

Thanks again to all for your input!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I recommend buying another neck. Why cannibalize a perfectly good bass? Can't help you with the luthier because I'm in Florida, but if you're willing to spend the money on a body and someone to rout and install the electronics, I would think another $300 wouldn't put you out.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I do believe Warmoth is in the process or may already be capable of Darkstar routes.

4. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
    Warmoth does Dark Star routes for an up-charge. They've done a few already.

5. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    No problems doing the Darkstar routes or routing for a BA II. Fred is correct, there is an additional charge for the pickup routes. The BAII is the same bridge route as the Gotoh 201.

-Eric.
    Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc.

6. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    However, to answer your original question, if you still want to have all of that done...

Valenti.
    or
    Head Guitars. Supporting my local luthiers. :D

7. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Didn't I read somewhere that the GL neck was a different size than the standard Jazz pocket? Seems like spending a couple of hundred bucks on a matching neck would be a better idea.

8. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    they do the Darkstar routes, also can do the badass as well (same route as the gotoh). I'm now thinking I WON'T cannibalize the GL, am thinking of doing a LP style, something short scale ala an old Starfire...