Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

REQ: Soundclip Peavey Cirrus Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by him666, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Anyone know where to find a Soundclip of a Peavey Cirrus Fretless? Or could someone be so kind to record just a little notes? Thanks in advance ;)

2. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    if i can get the time this weekend, i'll see if i can record something for you. (im super busy for the next few days.) i've got a redwood cirrus 5 fretless with a pau ferro fingerboard.

i can record through either a pod XT, the DI out from an eden metro combo, or i can mic the cab (though im just starting to learn about mic placement.) any preference?

-ugo

3. No haven't got any preference. Just the most easyest way for you. it would already be nice if you could record anything.

4. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    i've uploaded 256 bit mp3 of my cirrus. i had no idea what to play but i tried to give you an idea of what it sounded like, from the bottom to the top. please pardon the sloppy playing.

cirrus-fretless-demo.mp3

the EQ was set flat and the pickup blend was in the center. this was recorded through a bass pod XT (brit class A100 head, 4x10 adam and eve, 112 dynamic mic.) the strings are DR black beauties, which have had some playing time already put on them.

i applied a little noise reduction to get rid of a bit of line noise. (noisey apartment wiring/ac/fridge/crt/etc.) however i used virtos' denoiser, which does an excellent job at preserving the tone of the original audio so the tone of the recording is still accurate.

-ugo

5. Great :)
    It sounds nice. Thanks a lot :bassist:

6. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Were you using any vibrato on that clip? It didn't sound like it had a ton of mwah, then again your settings aren't exactly maximum mwah focused :D

7. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    very little.

its not a god of mwah, but the bass is far more capable than the clip shows (in all tonal and playing aspects.) i went for as basic a setting as i could because i didnt want the demo biased in one direction or another by the EQ or pickup settings. (and i didnt have the time to do seperate clips to show off multiple settings.) the pod was coloring things enough as is. i've found that the bass pod, though extremely helpfull in getting a sound that mixes easilly, kills a lot of the finer points in the texture of bass tones.

also, my playing didnt do much to bring anything out of the bass. but again, i was keeping it basic...and because my fretless playing really sucks these days. (im really out of practice.) my main goal was just to give an idea of what its basic sound was like and what some of the highest and lowest notes were like. just a basic overall taste test.

here's another quick mp3. this time, i've got it leaning heavily towards the bridge pickup, the mids are boosted a bit, and i recorded it through the eden's DI out. (again, noise reduction was used.) still probably not the best example of the bass, but at least it offers a somewhat different take on it.

cirrus-fretless-demo-2.mp3

-ugo