Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reqesting advice - Pre/Power Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TexasBBQ, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Greetings,

I am in need of advice on my amplification system. I am currently running a Ashdown MAG 300 H head into a 8 ohm Avatar B115H and a 8 ohm Avatar B210. On paper, this should be producing about 300W between the cabs. The problem is that I am running the system about wide open and am just keeping my head above water in the informal band I play in. (Bass vol. 100%,Input 70%,Output 100%) I like a clean tone, so I don't push the pre any harder than needed.

I thought I would use the line out on the Ashdown to drive a QSC RMX 1450 in an attempt increase the volume while maintaining some headroom. However, it seems that the Ashdown does not drive the QSC with enough signal. The Ashdown on its own sounds better than the QSC with more volume. The same result using the effects line out. I am at a loss to explain that other than perhaps the Ashdown is not preforming to spec in regard to it's preamp level.
    I have plugged the line out of a little 65W Kustom combo I have into the QSC, and while noisy, it drove the amp much harder than the Ashdown.

At this point, I have few questions for assembled knowledge base:

Should I suspect that the Ashdown is possibly malfunctioning?

If I go with a new preamp, the most affordable for me are the
    Sansamp RBI and the BBE BMax solid state. One over the other for doing 60's/70's rock?

Would the Hartke 5500 be a option?

Thanks in advance

TexasBBQ

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    im really not the one to ask considering the output impedance and input impedance of the ashdown and qsc
    in my opinion, if the bbe is what it says it is (i.e., the fender circut out of the rca manual also used by alembic) with a bbe sonic maximizer, then it would probably be the better choice. But the sans amp sounds quite nice. you really should a/b them together - just remember than "flat" on the bbe will be 2-10-2 on the bass-mid-treble controls
    i really dont care for hartke amps, but thats just me
    to get an appreciable jump in volume you should go for a power amp thats going to put at least 300 watts per side into 8 ohms.

3. Just a side thought...

What if I run the QSC in bridged mono mode, should be 1400w at 4 ohms,daisy chaining the two cabs.
    I wanted to run 2 channels to have a balance function between the cabs but that would be a lot more power.
    Would this be advisable?

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you can bridge it for more power - just be careful not to overpower your cabs
    fwiw, you may not notice an appreciable increase in volume this way, as doubling wattage only results in a 3 dB increase, AND because you might not be able to take advantage of the extra power if your cabinets can't handle it

5. If I remember correctly the B115h is a 600w cab and the B210 is a 700w cab. These are the RMS ratings. I believe that not only can they handle it but they will sound better with the added wattage. I know that my B212 sounds best when I feed it with 1000w versus the 450w it usually gets.

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well, if they can take that much, bridge away!!!!
    :D :cool: