1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Request A Soundclip

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FunkMetalBass, Apr 26, 2010.

1. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
  2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    I'll start it off:

Spector Legend 6
    • Roundwound strings
    • EMG 45P (neck)
    • EMG 45TW (bridge)
    • EMG 45TW jazz/dual switch
    • Aguilar OBP-3
    • 400k/800k Mid Selector Switch
    • Modboard Tremolo (rate & depth knobs)

If anybody wants clips, tell me how to set the EQ, how to blend the pickups, and even what technique to use. I'll try to post them.

3. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
  4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that thread. I thought this one was different enough to warrant a new thread. I hate listening to the same old soundclips that don't quite represent the tone that I'm looking for. It's always the same three or four clips, soloing just the pickups. This way, somebody could look at my bass and say "can you blend the pickups, boost the bass and mids, and flip on that tremolo for me?," which is probably not a tone I would have normally chosen for random clips.

That being said, I guess I should get started recording and posting some random clips.

5. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    I'll throw in.

Yamaha BBN5
    Roundwound Elixir Nanoweb
    EMG 40DC (neck)
    EMG 40P5 (bridge) -- Yes, I said bridge..
    Aguilar OBP-3 (3-band EQ)
    400/800 Mid Switch
    Vol-Vol layout, 18 Volt

Any of my other basses I'll do as well, but they are mostly stock.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    That's the spirit!

How do you like the P at the bridge? It's very fat in the neck spot, and I imagine it would sound great at the bridge.

7. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Its actually pretty nice there, but its too close to the bridge (IMO). I have to add a fair amount of lows to get it to 'fatten' up to what it sounded like in the neck. Think of a less growly, less nasal, J pickup that responds very well to EQ changes on the OBP3.

If I had a 'do over' I wouldn't have told the guy who did the routing to 'center' the EMG routes over the old J routes. I would have told him to keep the spacing the same to the bridge and route more toward the neck.