Request for Fender Bassman reviews/opinions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacob M, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    I'm thinking of buying a Fender Bassman (the one marketed as a guitar amp but originally designed for bass), and want some opinions/reviews/pros and cons of it. I realize it will have very low clean headroom, and of course, I'll try it out extensively before I buy it, but are there any problems that I wouldn't be able to detect from just trying it out? Also, how often do the rectifier tubes have to be changed?
  2. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i had a fender bassman 100! it was ok, but it didnt crank up like i thought it would! mine was sort of mid, sounding! not alot of thump!!! on a 1 to 10 on 15" combos i would give it a
    5 thats just me you mite like it! :bassist:
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    its a guitar amp its a guitar amp its a guitar amp its a guitar amp its a guitar amp (a very good guitar amp) it's NOT a bass amp - certainly not with those speakers in an open backed cabinet no less

if youre buying it for guitar i would check out the victoria bassman clone before buying a fender - the victoria is a wonderful amplifier (for guitar)
  4. GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If you are talking about the Fender "Bassman 10" combo amp w/ 4 - 10" speakers in an enclosed back cabinet, they are great for guitar, but not so good for bass (not loud enough w/ a band). I have a '72, & it is great for guitar. You can play bass through them, & it sounds good (I love bass tube sound), but they work better for a git. If that's not what you are referring to, than I typed all this for nothing (LOL). Please go to & look up the reviews. Matt :D

Alamost forgot: The old silver-faced combo amps are basically a super-reverb w/out the reverb tank. If you don't think so, pick one up cheap, plug a guitar into it, & turn it all the way up. Apology accepted. ;)
  5. The 59 Fender Bassman Reissue is a guitar amp

The newer solid state Bassman 100 is a bass amp with one 15" speaker and a midrange horn.
    I have one. They are nice, however I changed the speaker to an Eminence Kappa 15C and woa....killer low end now and much louder.