1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Request for Fender Bassman reviews/opinions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacob M, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    I'm thinking of buying a Fender Bassman (the one marketed as a guitar amp but originally designed for bass), and want some opinions/reviews/pros and cons of it. I realize it will have very low clean headroom, and of course, I'll try it out extensively before I buy it, but are there any problems that I wouldn't be able to detect from just trying it out? Also, how often do the rectifier tubes have to be changed?

2. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i had a fender bassman 100! it was ok, but it didnt crank up like i thought it would! mine was sort of mid, sounding! not alot of thump!!! on a 1 to 10 on 15" combos i would give it a
    5 thats just me you mite like it! :bassist:

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    its a guitar amp its a guitar amp its a guitar amp its a guitar amp its a guitar amp (a very good guitar amp) it's NOT a bass amp - certainly not with those speakers in an open backed cabinet no less

if youre buying it for guitar i would check out the victoria bassman clone before buying a fender - the victoria is a wonderful amplifier (for guitar)

4. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If you are talking about the Fender "Bassman 10" combo amp w/ 4 - 10" speakers in an enclosed back cabinet, they are great for guitar, but not so good for bass (not loud enough w/ a band). I have a '72, & it is great for guitar. You can play bass through them, & it sounds good (I love bass tube sound), but they work better for a git. If that's not what you are referring to, than I typed all this for nothing (LOL). Please go to Harmonycentral.com & look up the reviews. Matt :D

Alamost forgot: The old silver-faced combo amps are basically a super-reverb w/out the reverb tank. If you don't think so, pick one up cheap, plug a guitar into it, & turn it all the way up. Apology accepted. ;)

5. The 59 Fender Bassman Reissue is a guitar amp

The newer solid state Bassman 100 is a bass amp with one 15" speaker and a midrange horn.
    I have one. They are nice, however I changed the speaker to an Eminence Kappa 15C and woa....killer low end now and much louder.