1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Request for recommendations for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperKoopa97, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Jazz

83 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. Precision

41 vote(s)
    25.2%
  3. 4003

17 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. Other

22 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. SuperKoopa97

SuperKoopa97

Aug 3, 2012
    Hello everyone!,

I've been playing bass guitar for about two years, now i'm thinking about buying a better one. I own an Squier P-bass with rosewood fretboard (i already know that bass isn't good) and i was thining about getting: Fender American Standard Jazz Bass Maple fretboard (i actually like maple better than rosewood) or an American Standard Precision Bass with maple fretboard or maybe a Rickenbacker 4003 (i already know this one is not cheap). Which one could you recommend me? I play different music styles, like Pink Floyd, Rush, The Police, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and Black Sabbath, so i want a bass that could fit this styles if possible. :hyper: I personally want the punchy sound of the p but i also like the soft j sound and the problem with the p is that the single pickup does not offer a wide range of sounds like the jazz does. If it is another Bass that i didn't named before and has what i want, please inform me.

Thanks!!:bassist: KEEP UP THE GROOVE!

2. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
  3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Theres a huge difference between what a bass sounds like in the store or in your bedroom and what it sounds like in a band mix. Get something that feels right to you.

I have owned all 3 and I always come back to the P bass. It just flat out works in every genre and all the time. The right amp and cab also counts for a lot. If you have a good amp and cab and a 2012 MIA Fender P, you might be suprised what variety of tones you can achieve with that tone knob and the EQ on the amp.

4. tunewriter

tunewriter

Jul 26, 2012
    If you never played an Ibanez SG 500 don't buy anything till you do. It will speak for itself.

5. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    Can't argue with that...

6. The bass you have is fine, or "good". Go ahead and buy something else if you *prefer* to, but there is no reason why you couldn't keep playing the Squier for years, if not decades to come.

Oh, and +1 to the idea of instead spending the funds instead on amps and/or other gear.

7. I,ve had a MIJ P for years and would never get rid of it. A couple years ago I bought a beautiful Aerodyne Jazz that I really love to play. But my P is still my go to bass.

8. Try a G&L L-2000. Great range of tone and fun to play.

9. SG or SR?

10. nrssab

nrssab

Jun 28, 2006
    Germany
    I would continue playing your Squire P, they are quite good. If you really are not happy with the sound then get yourself some nice Pickups for it.
    If you play classic rock I recommend you get a Rickenbacker as next bass, they have such a special tone which just fits perfectly with the music you like. Then someday you can also get yourself some Bass with JM (Jazz and a Humbucker) pickups, like a Music Man or a Sandberg, but I think that for the start with a P-Bass and a Rickenbacker you have a perfect combination and variety of sounds.

Regards,
    NR

11. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    PJ. Buy used.

12. MNCBZZZ

MNCBZZZ

Aug 3, 2012
    I have precision bass (Yamaha pb), but i always wanted to buy a jazz bass, because it has thin neck, two pickups and i'm a big Jaco's fan. I suggest you to buy a jazz bass, because it's universal bass, you can play everything, and also it's very easy to sell it.

13. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Have you had the bass set up professionally? I'd try that and maybe get the frets dressed too and see what you think after that.

Personally, I've always like Jazz basses.

14. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    ^
    This is incredibly wise advice in more ways than one.

There are a PLETHORA of basses out there and feel can be an astronomical deal breaker on a bass. The amp and cab can have a huge impact on your overall tone, as can other factors like strings and setup on the bass.

When you are in the market for a new bass or gear, the rule of thumb is to try as much as you possibly can. I know it sounds lame and most of us sound like broken records saying you should try it out all the time, but I have saved myself some really really REALLY bad decisions by going out and trying a bass/amp/cab before buying one. One thing to consider is figuring out what makes that bass sound as good as it does. Tube amps aside, there isn't much you can do to change them or cabs, so there can be less guesswork on what might work or not. The band mix issue is a very valid point that someone else in this thread brought up, my solution was to try and play with my bandmates in the store and see how it comes out...not always a possibility, but it's certainly fun to crank it up and play together! (...if they let you lol)

Active basses give you a lot of tonal options, but you may bite off more than you can chew with some basses. I didn't have a problem with anything except having to adjust mine on the fly. The P/J combo bass is a wonderful mix that will give you a great deal of versatility while keeping it simple. A G&L L2000 or MM Bongo or Big Al are all great basses, but can be a little dizzying with all the options you are given on the bass alone. It's for some people, but I prefer the Ibanez SR prestige style controls...3 band w/ mid sweep and pickup balance, enough versatility with the mids to cut but nothing too crazy like a 4-band EQ or all the series/parallel pickup switches. YMMV, try them all out! You may find an L2000 suits you perfectly! :bassist:

EDIT: OP, this may be of interest to you. A pickup upgrade to the '62 Fenders, Dimarzio model P's, or Seymour Duncan Vintage for P would set a bass like this on fire. If you decide to stick with the P's, a decent setup and replaced pickups make those basses really sing. I love my Squier VM 70's J, I put Dimarzio model J's in there.

15. I think a P-J configuration is the most suitable. You can make several sounds.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    For sheer versatility and lusciousness of tone, it would be hard to beat an active Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass, with P/J pickups. It can do everything a passive P can do - and more. It can do everything a passive J can do - and more. And with its three bands of EQ, plus active/passive switch, it can even do everything that a straight passive P/J can do - and more.

All that said, you need to educate your ears & your fingers, by getting hands-on experience with lots & lots of different instruments: there's no substitute for experience. Only then, as you discover what works for your particular sound & style, will you know whether the American Deluxe Precision is for you - or some other instrument. :meh:

MM

17. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    if you're going to keep using the Pbass .. then get a Jazz to compliment that sound and feel ...

or if you want both sounds in 1 bass ... the P J setup as people have said ... it will have a P bass pickup at the neck , J pup at the bridge position ...

i've spent a crapload of money on higher end basses over the decades ... i am now buying cheaper basses and working on them myself and modding to my preference ...

i never felt i was an experienced enough to tear apart my Alembic or similar basses .. !

you could always have another pup installed in your Pbass !?
    put some better guys in it ... it is fun and self fullfilling to work on stuff like that , at least for me ...

take care.. Dave C. ps .. there is only 1 opinion that matters

18. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Try a good set up by a competent luthier along with some new strings before you buy anything. That will show you what you really have. You might be surprised.

19. The513Sojourner

The513Sojourner

May 31, 2011
    I have three letters for you...

A-T-K

Check out an older, early 90's, Ibanez ATK. Trust me...

20. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    ^ Agreed. P-bass Special will give ya a bit of P&J in your world.