Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Request: Old Trace Elliot info

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigcatJC, Jun 13, 2005.

1. bigcatJC

bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    This is likely a wild goose chase, but does anyone have any Trace Elliot promotional literature from when they first hit the US? I'm thinking this was about the time they were making the Mk V/Series 5 amps. I seem to remember them making a claim about their amps not needing a limiter/compressor because their speakers were strong enough to handle strong transient peaks (AKA Mark King's right thumb). The memory, if I'm right, struck me as funny since Trace later added compressors. I'm curious to see if I'm right or if my old brain made the whole thing up.

Plus, does anybody know who made their speakers in those days? I once heard a story they were Turbosound, but I have no proof.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. I believe Trace Elliot used to use Fane Loudspeakers before changing over to Celestion. Trace started in the UK in 1978 from a shop in Essex called soundwave. Sorry, thats all I know...

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm also on a quest for some information regarding older Trace gear. I have a 2103H (2x10 with horn, 200w 8 ohm) and a Bright Box and I am looking for more information regarding them.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Unfortunately I don't have any useful info to share on the older Trace Elliot stuff but....Trace later add compressors not to help protect their speakers but rather for musicians that use it as an effect and/or have problems with their technique.