1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Request Pickup & Electronics Recommendation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by teetopkram, Mar 26, 2009.

1. teetopkram

teetopkram

Sep 19, 2005
    Greetings all -

I am primarily a guitarist who plays bass at home for recording purposes, and I possess the following cheap bass (that plays very very well): Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639

I am thinking about gutting the electronics and putting new pots and pick-ups in there to improve it's sounds.

First question is, what's a good, all around solid set of jazz pickups? Don't care if Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan, though the cheaper the better. Not looking for any specific type of music, just general good all around performance. Hum cancelling is a plus.

Second, any good recs on a specific dealer or ship to get replacement pots, wiring kits, etc.? Any specific types of brands to consider?

Finally, would sticking with the stock wiring configuration provide a good, all around range of sounds, or is it worth it to add an active wiring system (e.g., Seymour Duncan STC-2)?

thanks!!

Mark