Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Requesting info on AMP BH-420

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arock, Feb 12, 2006.

1. arock

arock

Sep 16, 2005
    Verona, WI
    I'm hoping to find out a little about the AMP BH-420 I just purchased at a local music store. It seems to be in immaculate condition inside and out, and came with the original manual. Sounds awesome. A couple of unique things compared with other pictures of the BH-420 I've seen. Mine has the wood side trim pieces. It does NOT, however, have the "enhance" footswitch jack on the front.

It has serial number 1010. According to a post by Dave Funk elsewhere on the forum, the one Jaco had was serial 1166. Does that mean mine is older than Jaco's? Can anyone provide additional information on the lineage of these amps? How rare are the units with the wood trim? Thanks in advance.

Front angle:
    [​IMG]

Back angle:
    [​IMG]

Inside:
    [​IMG]

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

WOW what a score :eek: !!! By far the cleanest one I have ever seen. Consider me first in line if you ever want to let it go. Now as for your question, I've heard that some came with wood, but never seen it until now. Brad Johnson or Dave Funk may be able to give you some more info. Again, please let me know if or when you wish to sell! :D

3. arock

arock

Sep 16, 2005
    Verona, WI
    I couldn't believe it either. Other than some very slight "rash" on the top and bottom, it looks like it's been in a box for 20 years. Unreal.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Very nice score! That baby is mega-clean! :)

Enjoy, Tom.

5. arock

arock

Sep 16, 2005
    Verona, WI
    Thanks, Tom.

Anyone out there know about the serial numbers, first manufacture date, or how I can date my head? Just curious - I have a thirst for knowledge about gear I own.

6. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    that sucker is CLEAN!

nice job.

there are som good posts about these, but you probably alerady searched them.

great amp, great sound, and to top it off, yours is mint. Jealous!

7. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Damn! I should have scoured the madison music stores better!! Just kidding--great find--sure does look clean. I'm guessing the wooden pieces on the side were added after-market. My amp bh-420 (which i bought from tom bowlus) has a serial # of 1080. the amp bh-250 has a serial # of 1084. I don't know how they assigned ser. # or how it relates to date of mfg. I would love to get a copy of that manual--if you're willing to copy it and fax, attach or snail-mail, please PM me. Or if you're interested in stopping by and comparing AMP's!!

8. arock

arock

Sep 16, 2005
    Verona, WI
    My understanding is that the wood side pieces were an option from the factory. In fact, the picture on the front of the manual that came with it shows the wood trim pieces.

9. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    all the more reason I need to get a copy of that manual!

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm guessing its "newer" than the 1010. jaco died in 1985. the circuit board reminds me of a preamp (stereo hifi) that had similar, was made around 1980.

check manual for printing date, back page...

I agree that Mr. Funk would be a better source for info, or someone else, who was that???, from the A.m.p. company.

BTW nice score!!

11. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i think my AMP420 has the transformer on the opposite side of the amp. the preamp board is quite different as well. interesting.

12. arock

arock

Sep 16, 2005
    Verona, WI
    OK, here's the timeline as I see it:

May 20, 1985: This is the date on the preamp schematic in my BH-420 manual (serial #1010).

May of 1985: Jaco receives his BH-420 (serial #1166). See this link:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9207&d=1096584939

According to the letter, he tried the amp at Hartke sometime before they shipped his unit. Not a lot of wiggleroom if they actually shipped a production unit in May of 1985, unless the schematics were dated after units shipped.

13. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia

Hi.
    Nice score on the BH-420! I also just bought one a couple of weeks ago. I would LOVE to have a copy of the manual. Would you be willing to photocopy or scan it? It is impossible to find a manual.......I have tried everyone. Is there a schematic in the manual?

Many Thanks,
    Erik

PS: Quad....any word from FedEx?

14. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia

Mine too.......Or wait...........Is that the Underside of the amp?

Mine is Serial # 2129

15. arock

arock

Sep 16, 2005
    Verona, WI
    Actually, I believe the transformer is on the same side. The difference is how the case opens. On mine, the bottom of the amp comes off - everything inside is screwed to the top surface of the amp. :eek: It looks like the newer case design has a removable top lid, and the sides go with the top. I'm comparing my picture to the one Quadzilla took in his for sale post here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225625

16. arock

arock

Sep 16, 2005
    Verona, WI
  17. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    thanks for taking the time to post the manual--much appreciated!

18. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

yeah, mine looks like the posts quad posted. seems to be its a top vs bottom opening ussue, and not a different amp design inside.

cool thread.

i played my 420 this eve, and almost cried. not really, but i felt like i should have. i really like em.

19. arock

arock

Sep 16, 2005
    Verona, WI
    Tonight I got my first chance to play the BH-420 through my AccuGroove El Whappo Jr. at church. Great experience - what a sound!

Also - I exchanged emails with Dave Funk regarding how to find the manufacture date. Unfortunately, he doesn't know if there is a way.

20. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    talk about that old time religion! Amen, Brother!