Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Requesting info

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Aug 21, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

A recent thread about 70's funk-disco bass tone reminded me of this recording, which I used to listen a lot when I was a kid. Maybe some of you already know it, so you can give me the info I'm looking for with no need to download. This is Henry Mancini's version of Baretta's theme (Keep Your Eye On The Sparrow) from a 1977 LP called "The Cop Show Themes". My questions are about the long bass intro. I mean: What is that? Is it a bass played with a pick? Slap bass with rolled-off treble? Is that a bass? Does anybody know who's the player or maybe recognize his/her style? To me, this is a very unique playing which is very hard to replicate and just want to have some lights on such an obscure recording and unknown player. The YouSendIt link below will allow you to download the full tune, transferred to digital by myself from the original LP. Hope you enjoy it if never heard it.

Link:

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0QFOZXBC4W10319DNXO7JVR86

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Bump.

Any thoughts on the recording? (Maybe it's not as unique as I feel it is)

Just in case, here's a fresh link to the tune. The mp3 is also fixed here. For an unknown reason to me, it skipped towards the end and I thought it was a vinyl fault, but it was perfect (all of my vinyl records are). Something weird happened with this PC while doing the transfer.

Link:

http://s30.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1S5PZGS3EIPX60Z1P2QVPMQLSH

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Time frame('70s)
    TV theme
    Henry Mancini
    Played with a pick

...all points to Carol Kaye, IMO.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I found a link that works for me...
    Anyway, scratch Carol Kaye.

It sounds plucked(very hard at times).
    Chuck Rainey now comes to mind; it does remind me a little of "Sanford & Son's" intro.

Replicating something like that should be fun; sounds like the fretting hand stays as busy as the plucking hand.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    AMG lists Abe Laboriel as the bassist.
    I'm not surprised.

Harvey Mason, Lee Ritenour, Dennis Budimir, Clare Fisher, Don Menza, Artie Kane are some of the other players.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Thank you, JimK! I'm not surprised about Abe Laboriel being the bass player either. He's awesome!