Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

requesting input on JP specs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xush, Apr 7, 2003.

1. fretted birdseye maple FB

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. fretless Mac Ebony FB, w/ wenge lines

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. fretted Mac Ebony FB

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. silicone impregnated phenolic fretless fingerboard w/ mother-of-toilet seat 'carrot of life' inlay

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    OK, so JP through me a curve today;
    I was planning on bird's eye FB,wenge neck core, flamed maple neck back, wenge headstock back and heel. It's a 5-string w/ black limba body.

But as of today, I now have the choice of a fretless macassar board w/ wenge lines.

I'm torn. Any suggestions? I do loves me some fretless...but I don't have any fretted 5's w/ maple FBs... arggghh.

pics to follow

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    was just reminded that the ebony could be fretted too...

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    fretted maple... yum~!

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    the neck thru fretless that i am building has a fretless unlined mac board.

The j bass that i am building has a fretless mac board that i am getting from warmoth.

Go unlined ebony !

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    by the way, thru my playing career, I've had (and still have) lots of ebony, but very few maple boards. That's kind of why I went in figuring I'd try some maple.
    But I do have a good relationship w/ ebony...

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    i would go with a fretted maple neck!

I love maple :)

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Unlined ebony is not an option this time as the board is, as you can see, already slotted. I offered Mark to fill the slots with wenge veeners as this will give an almost unlined look...

Peace, JP

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yeah, I like unlined, but the wenge-filled slots ought to be pretty cool on an ebony board. Anything darker than maple works for me.

Should have pics of those wenge-on-macc lines tonight, if JP has time.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    <b> "Unlined ebony is not an option this time as the board is, as you can see, already slotted. I offered Mark to fill the slots with wenge veeners as this will give an almost unlined look..."</b>

Lined ebony ! Lined ebony !
    :D

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Mark,
    what pickups and electronics are you putting in that ?

BTW, that is a fine looking bass !

11. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I vote for maple. It'll contrast nicely with the black limba!

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL

Thanks!

Body: Black limba
    Neck: J-Neck wenge/flamed maple
    Fingerboard: can't decide!!!
    Pickups: JP Pickups
    Controls: E-Pro BTB-01
    Bridge: ABM
    Tuners: Hipshot

13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Right there, you said you don't have any 5 string fretted maple fingerboards. That right there might be a good reason to get it.

Since you do have a good relationship with ebony, it is safe to assume that you already have an ebony boarded fretless, so you have that covered.

Might as well go for the one you don't have!

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    To play devil's advocate for a minute, doesn't wenge lines on a macassar ebony board seem like, well ... the worst of both worlds? I mean, with the wenge lines, you don't get the cool unlined look that many of you guys like (I'm a liner myself), but since apparently, from what JP implies and from what I've seen, there isn't that much contrast between the wenge and the mac, the lines would presumably be hard to see and not very useful. If you're gonna have lines in the first place, doesn't it make sense for them to be easily visible? I guess I just don't see what the point of an "almost unlined" look would be. Or maybe I'm missing something key?:meh:

The bass itself looks like it's going to be a beauty, though. Congrats, whichever way you go.

15. From a visual standpoint, I'm going with the fretted ebony--I just don't usually care for the look of most maple boards, with a few exceptions. I also love the feel of ebony.

It's true that you don't have any maple boards, and I can see the appeal of wanting to try something new, but that's what used basses are for. :) On a custom instrument, there are enough unknowns already--I tend want to go for features that I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with.

Mike

(PS -- Beautiful work, JP!)

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I was getting ready to post something similar to what Mike just posted.

I have never been a big fan of maple boards. had one for a looooong time and it was to clackity clacky for me, plus i just really dig ebony.

Mark, i think you should buck popular opinion at this point and "go for what you know..."

Peace,
    Don

17. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Well, here is a quickie of what different woods would look like as fret slots fillers:

[​IMG]

From left to right we have wenge, padauk and maple...

Wenge is still noticeable for the player but give the "almost unlined look" if standing a litle farther of tha bass...

BTW, my choice would be fretted macassar :D

peace, JP

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i like the paduak...That looks really cool, not to mention a bit exotic !

When you build my bass JP you can do paduak lined macassar ebony !:D ;)