1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Requesting my bass tracks be removed from recordings after being fired.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Spirit of Ox, May 22, 2019.

1. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    First off, forgive me if this sounds bitter because I'm not really a bitter person (most of the time!). I got kicked out this original rock band the singer/guitarist called me and said I've been too hard to work with lately and that my playing has been erratic and unpredictable. We recorded a 4 song demo last year and it finally, after a whole year got finalized.
    I feel a little screwed over since I put time and money into these recordings and now I'm no longer part of this project.
    Is it justifiable for me to contact these guys and request that my bass tracks be removed from the recordings? They are published on Facebook and Reverbnation and I don't want my work with them on those sites.

Oh and blessing in disguise, the lead guitarist was mad that they kicked me out and he and I started our own band. We've been planning on doing something on the side to escape their tyranny and now we are free from it.

Thanks for the advice and I know this comes off as sour grapes but I had to get this off my chest.

design and Nunovsky like this.
  2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I’d just move on.

3. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    Your probably right. But I can't help but feel a little jilted.

davidprice, Socobass and Acoop like this.
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    It’s a bad feeling, for sure.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    This situation occurs way too often to be a coincidence. What's it with bassists getting kicked out after pouring their heart into a recording?

The consensus around here is that you won't have any legal leverage. They might do it out of courtesy, but I've yet to see that happen. They will most likely show you the flaming middle finger and you can't really do much about it.

Sorry. Move on +1.

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Move on

Ric Vice, volker, Hambone70 and 2 others like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You can ask, but short of a prior agreement, there is nothing you can do. Even if you could, would you spend time and money to go to court? What are your damages?

Ric Vice, zon6c-f, zoonose and 3 others like this.
  8. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Another vote for filing under "Life Stinks" and moving on.

9. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Let it goooo, let it gooooooo!
    Record new, better versions of the songs with the singer if it makes you feel better.

Ric Vice, turcmic and Spirit of Ox like this.
  10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    When a carpenter gets fired from a job site, they don't remove his boards from the house. Sorry this happened to you, and good luck! :)

11. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I vote that you just enjoy your new project, and keep on truckin’.

Hopefully the old band recording will go double platinum, then you can be the guy everyone hears on record, while the current bassist lives a life of never-ending explaining. “Oh, that wasn’t me, that was my idol, Sprit of Ox” . :)

You’ll be the guy on their Wiki page that threw it down hard before they “sold out”. :)

12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No. A bass line is not a separate piece of intellectual property that you can lay claim to and extract from the rest of the work. You did the work, made your contribution, and now it is a complete production. Done and gone. You do have rights to royalties on the use of your recording, but that's pennies per play at most, so not worth making a fuss over unless the song somehow becomes a huge hit.

Move on.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

- let it go
    - move on
    - don't look back!

good luck with your new project! :thumbsup:

14. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    If you're proud of your playing, just leave it be.
    Just make sure they credit you appropriately on the release.

15. Go on FB and Reverb and give the songs a bad review. Say the bass player is tone deaf and couldn't carry a tune in a suitcase. :)

Mili, dutchwife, Mcboomport and 12 others like this.
  16. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    is the recording good? if it's not god-awful, you having played on it only benefits you. move on and leverage your work with this band to get the next gig. it's just another part of your portfolio...

bbh, neckdive, shadven and 11 others like this.
  17. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    No one will know, no one will care that you are playing on that music. What are you going to do if they say no? You'll just wind up looking small and silly.

Living well is the best revenge and being the petty little Richard Craniums that they are is worse punishment than anything you could do to them.

18. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    That was then. This is now.

19. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Fire the drummer.

Oh. Wait. Wrong thread.

20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You've got a better thing going. The best revenge is success, and you're on track. Spending your life arguing with and/or suing other people is not a good way to live.

Fialka, ZAR14, eJake and 5 others like this.