Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Requesting Opinions on Smaller Amp needs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pierce, Jul 27, 2004.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    :confused:

Here is a quandary that I could use some reinforcement info on. I need a smaller amp for smaller gigs. I want the smaller combo to be as versatile as possible, and I have about $400 total to spend. I currently play punk, and we are trying some acoustic punk shows. I also am looking at the possibility of using this amp with acoustic basses, electric uprights or a zeta crossover bass (if I can get my hands on one of them for a good price), or possibly an upright bass. I have also recently purchased a Crate BT50 (50W, 12”) to try out for our first acoustic gig, and use GC’s 30 day return policy if it doesn’t work out for me.

Here are the options I am looking at:

1. Either keep the Crate, or upgrade to the Crate BT100-15. I like the sound I am getting out of this amp because it is deep, and really makes that tone knob on my j-bass useful. It also has some cool features, like distortion, and octavizer (the larger one has a limiter), but I also know that these are gimmicky. I love the built in tuner. The only problem is, I’m not sold on the reliability/durability/versatility of Crate.

2. Get a different Small combo. The Ashdown electric blue series seems to be my first choice. I have played the 12, and it was not initially as deep as the Crate. I also didn’t get a chance to a-b them, or play the Ashdown in studio. It seems to have a lot of the same features, except the tuner. I could really use some in depth reviews of the new EB series from Ashdown, with some discussion of the reliability problems and/or comparisons of the EB to other amps. Is there a pertinent difference between British and Chinese models. (I am also open to other brands).

3. I currently have a Trace Elliot 4x10 combo. The “head” is a Mark V, and the GP 11. The head looks as though it could be easily removed from the cabinet as it “appears” to be rackmounted, put in a rack mount case, and used with a 12 or 15”cab, but I am not sure that this is possible :eyebrow: . I am like this option, because it makes my big combo lighter, and would give me an extension cab.​

Thanks for reading this. Any opinions, or suggestions, welcome. :bag:

BTW, I know it boils down to listening to my ear and wallet, but I am wanting to see if there is any options or obstacles that I have not thought about.

2. You're lucky this ain't the Harmony Central forums. They don't like it when you mention the 'C' word... :D ;)

3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I like my Aguilar GS112 paired with the inexpensive Behringer BX3000T head. It's not a small combo, but it's as small or smaller than most little combo's and it has a very huge sound.

4. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    but would you say this falls into my $400 budget.

5. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Close. I got my Aguilar for $300 and the Behringer for $200 ...a little off, but twice the rig compared to most small combo's in my experience.

6. if you could get the head part out of your trace and use that along with a a smaller cab like the Aguilar GS112, then that would by far the be the best way to go. and it would give you an extension cab for larger gigs.

7. By far, #3 is the best option. thank you and good night..

8. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    I attended a local punk show featuring several bands. It was held in an old delapidated Disco hall (literally). I walked in and heard the bass. I was impressed. He played a Fender (of course) through a Behringer BX300T w/ an old Accoustic 215 cab and no PA. (approx. $400.00) It sounded great, although I'm a die hard Ampeg man. So, the Behringer $200.00 new with any smaller used cab should crank! But you still have that option of removing your head and placing it atop a small cab....Good luck!

9. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

if you dont mind me asking, where did you get your gear. was it new or used? the cheapest i can find new is $229 for the behringer, and $379 for the ag.

10. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Got my Behringer BX3000T new at a local store in January 2004. The Aguilar GS112 was used so I got a deal on it. I got it in the same store.

PM if you need more info.