Resale value- Music Man Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lubcha132, Aug 20, 2002.

1. lubcha132

Feb 17, 2002
    NJ, USA
    What is the resale value of a new Music Man Stingray?
  2. I've seen anything from $650 to $1200 sometimes more. If it's real new then not much cheaper than what you got it for. Look around at e-Bay if you haven't already.
  3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    It's practically impossible to sell a well used stingray for more than $1000. Most resell at about $600-850 for a standard 4 string. This varies with color, age, options. The plus, though, is if you buy a used one, should you ever want to sell it, you can probably get about what you paid for it, as long as it's still in good shape.

There is an exception for vintage 'rays, though. They get up high in price.

If you are looking for a stingray to buy, might I suggest something before 1997. They were made a little better back then. The wood was higher grade, the electronics were put together better, the bridge was the older style with the mutes (but they don't work... however they look slick).
  4. I really haven't seen any evidence that supports this. I played about 20 Stingray 5s last winter, some new, some old. I really didn't notice any quality differences between the newer and older Ernie Balls. They are very well put together and I didn't find one dog among them. Some people prefer the alnico pickups (pre '91) to ceramic ones. They do sound a bit different, but I'm not sure which I prefer. At the risk of offending the vintage Stingray guys, I think that the QC and fit and finish of Musicman instruments has only improved since Ernie Ball took over.

I generally see used Stingrays for about $700-750 depending on what kind of shape they're in. Stingray 5s usually go for slightly less than $1000. I got mine (mint) for $800! They go for good prices and are amazing instruments if you're into the Musicman vibe!
  5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, I may agree with the Stingray 5, but since 97-98, I've seen a lot of Stingray 4s with really horrible feeling pots, with less beautiful wood, with bad hardware chroming. I used to have a 96 and a 91 stingray 4. Comparing it head to head with newer ones, there were a lot of things that were just "better attention to detail" (not just a matter of breaking things in either).

I have also seen the maple (for the neck) go from birdseye or flamed to just a very plain looking, non figured wood. At GC, we had NOS stingrays from 3 years ago as well as brand new ones and it was easy to see which was the better piece.
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    My stingray 5 went for $1189... I paid $1425 (1401 with tax)
  7. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    I've noticed that on ever single stingray/sterling I've feels like they're full of sand or something.