Resale Value P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Hey everyone. I am wondering if this is worth doing. I have a Mexican P bass, and i am getting very worked up over its bridge saddles dropping on me. Is it worth doing this??

Mexican P-Bass (2004 or a 2005), Dark red,
    Tortise shell pickguard,
    Hipshot Bass X-tenders (for switching to drop D)
    Badass II bridge.
    Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pups,
    Heavy guage DR lowriders.

As of now it is all stock, but i wanted to know if it was worth upgrading the $400 bass adn addign about $300 worth of stuff. Would it be worth it? Would you add anything else or not add something? Eventually this is going to be my backup bass to my Sterling that I plan on getting in a year, but I need a good gigging bass for drop C and backup...
    Chime in...
  2. Adding $300 to a $400 dollar bass is not going to come out to $700 when selling. That's just the way the used market works. I would reccomend either selling it outright if you don't plan to keep it, or if you do, than upgrading it if you want to. Upgrading for purpose of selling doesn't make much sense.
  3. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    You won't get your money back out of it if you decide to sell, but if you like the bass, go ahead and mod it and keep it.

A cheaper solution would be to get some Loctite from an auto parts store and put it on the threads of the saddle screws once you get them set in position. Viola! No more problems with the saddles dropping. Total cost, less than $3. Then you can change pickups, pickguard, whatever you want with the money you would have spent on the new bridge.
  4. True, but a BadAss has more advantages than just the fact that it's saddles don't flop all over the place.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, buying a Mexican Fender means replacing all the tuners, I want Hipshots or Schallers on everything and a Detuner to go with it. The rest isn't a big deal, usually throw in a Dimarzio Model P. But if you're concerned about resale value, you're not in the right market.

For what you have, I'd consider yourself lucky if you got your original $400 back out of it.
  6. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I would upgrade the pups and the badass bridge cost about 150 bucks on Epray. You will have a kickbutt bass for next to nothing. Should you decide to sell it you will still lose some bucks but hey, you'll lose less than some of the 'higher end' basses I have seen sold recently on Epray and TB.
  7. eh well after thinking, i dotn think id want to sell it anyway...but thinking of the fact that if i upgraded all that stuff, it would play like a charm. Im not worried about top quality wood here, it really doenst matter as its a moderate to low priced bass, but if i changed it all it would feel great.

whats the point of changing tuners unless its for the Hipshot bass extenders to go drop d? I dont understand the concept of changing tuners.

Oh by the way i tried lock-tite and nail polish on my bridge and i play very hard at times (i play a mix of hardcore/post hardcore/emo/original and i have a very hard attack and play with a pick) and it keeps breakign the seal of what i have and falling.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, I don't like the way cheap tuners feel, and a good set of tuners makes a bass feel much sturdier to me. That and I'm a bit OCD and like everything to match :)
  9. ahhhh, well i think that im not going to replace the tuners YET.....but eventually....., i already have $350 worth of stuff im starting to purchase tomorrow
    im set on this...i dunno y i even posted this me, its my dream. ta da..

oh btw....saw 2 is the greatest movie ever made....
  10. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    a MIM P-Bass is still going to be a MIM P-Bass no matter how many mods you put on it.. I would sell it now in stock condition if you don't plan on keeping it for ages (after modding it).
  11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Another thing to keep in mind:

Go ahead and do the (reversible) upgrades and keep the original parts handy. If/when you decide to sell it, just swap 'em back to the originals and sell it, and sell the upgrade items as well if you want. You'll get the most money back this way.
  12. are a smart guy....surprizingly i never thougth of that.....

no joke

i was definatly born with a 1 track mind....