Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

resale value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by graniteboy, Aug 19, 2000.

1. graniteboy

graniteboy

Aug 15, 2000
    I got my hands on a Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz Bass ("Crafted in Japan") recently, and I'm quite happy with it in terms of sound, playability, and value. Now, a bit of a concern; while I always try to keep my instruments in tip-top shape, I also like to play hard, often in smokey, sweaty dives which, as you know, take their toll on the fit and finish of any musical instrument (my bandmate's '96 USA Tele looks about 30 years old). I'm wondering how much the $ or resale value of such a bass ("Limited Edition Signature") would be adversely affected by the ravages of real-life gig use. Don't get me wrong, I love the instrument and intend to keep it for a long time, but I'm just curious about what I could expect on a *hypothetical* sale or trade after several years of use.

Thanks.

GB

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nobody knows. Seriously. I've seen Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller basses sit in stores for a long time, if the demand is not there in a few years, the value won't be either.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This is just an aside...but if the air in those bars where you play has done that to the finish on your basses, just imagine what it has done to the lining of your lungs!

I'm not trying to be a smarta** here, though it may sound like it, but I remember one particularly smoke contaminated bar in which Steve Morse asked the people up front if they would please refrain from smoking. (Although his bassist, Dave LaRue smoked like a chimney in those days.)

What I'm pointing out is if you are breathing air that can corrode and tarnish metal and wood, what must it be doing to flesh and bone? Sorry for kind of taking your thread into another subject area.

Jason Oldsted

4. Though the Geddy Lee is a fine bass, it isn't in the top tier of valuable Fenders probably because of it's Japanese heritage. IMO you are probably already starting out in the hole because of this. That said, since the body is black there isn't a problem with discoloration. The neck will gain an aged patina (deep golden color) and that is always looked upon with relish. The pickguard will probably get the worst of the wear but if it matches the rest of the body and neck, that's okay too. Perhaps you could just buy a replacement pickguard now, keep the provenance intact, and then replace the old one if it gets too trashed. I think that, for future value, it's more important to keep the bass intact and original. This will appeal most to collectors.

5. i never worry about resale value, i would much rather buy a beat up used bass that has been played a lot, then get one that has been sitting in a closit for 10 years, i dont intend to sell any of my basses, and when i do, ill give them away real cheap to people who i know will play it well

6. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I own a Geddy Lee Jazz as well and I don't plan on selling it. The term "Limited Edition" for this model is somewhat misleading. Limited to what? Fender stopped offering this bass for a while, at a time when I bought mine used, but now it is available again. IMHO you should play it wherever you want and not worry about the resale value. Buy basses to play, buy mutual funds for investments. :D

Mike