Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luke Sheridan, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Has anyone found a place to send boards for resawing? I've called around to several lumber shops in my area that offer millwork. Two of them laughed and said good luck in finding someone.

I have attempted this myself and mostly ruined a nice piece of Cocobolo and shaved a few years off my life from fright. So i dont plan on trying again.

Somewhere local to NY would be great, but I'm wiling to ship.
  2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    If you have one piece of wood you want to bookmatch and that's it I would say just practice on some crap wood until you can do it on your own bandsaw for free. If you've got some stuff that is super nice/rare/thick and you want to get a few sets out of it check out He does really nice work but you pay for it. Not worth it at all for just a bookmatch.
  3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I always start with the tablesaw.
    I make sure to have the same face against the fence everytime, and I raise the blade slowly between passes (saw off!)
    Then I start with the bandsaw once I've gone as far as I can with the tablesaw.
    I add a fence to my tablesaw by clamping down a 6" high piece of scrap.

best regards,

P.S. Don't forget eye and ear protection, as well as push sticks!
  4. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    What kind of bandsaw do you have? I have a delta 14" that works fine with a 3/4" 3TPI blade for resawing. When I first setup the saw to resaw, I practiced on some boring maple, then after that success immediately resawed some sets of AAAAflame. It's easy if you use the proper blade for the job and have a good fence. I use a fence that is slightly rounded so I can adjust my cutting with the 'skew' of the saw, or whatever you call it.
  5. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Thats great to know that the service is available. Opens up possibiliies for future lumber purchases.
  6. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    You could also try furniture manufactures & highschools or colleges. Maybe see if there is a local woodworking club and get contacts of guys that have the skill & equiptment.
  7. I have been toying with the idea of building a dedicated circular resaw on the order of 16" diameter or so and in the 5 hp or larger range. It' only in my head right now but I've got some good ideas. This wouldn't be the first large saw I've been involved with the building of. When my father retired, he built his own portable saw mill from his own design. I helped him and learned quite a bit about blade geometry and stuff. We built a trailerable mill sporting a 42" blade driven by a 6 cyl. Dodge engine. Run speed of the blade to get it to stand up was 700 rpm. The carriage was capable of handling a 14' log. It was all automatic feed run with aircraft aileron actuators. The REAL ingenious part was the blade speed control was actually an adapted cruise control. Since the power plant was the truck engine (in the truck chassis with tranny, dash, and rear axle as a PTO and redirection) the cruse control was a natural. When the blade engaged the log and the engine speed dropped, the cruise control kicked in, brought the RPM's up and maintained them as the log was fed through the blade. And a 42" blade spinning a foot from your face at 700 rpm will get your respect - if it doesn't it'll get your flesh!

So with all of that as a background, I figure a beefy circular blade on a rising, pivoted elevator system will get me what I want. I already resaw on the table saw but I want to be able to process larger pieces at a time than the 10" blades can handle. The Jazzwick started as a very large piece and that was the first time I tried to build from something that big. It worked and that has opened up some new possibilities if I can process the larger stuff.
  8. Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Luke....I can resaw the Coco for you.....I've got a 36in bandsaw and can resaw anything up to 20in......I'll do it for nothing as long as you pick up the freight both ways.....I'm in Pennsylvania, so UPS should be reasonable.

Give me the dimensions just so I have an idea of what you have.

I hope I can be of some help,
  9. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    You must be Tdog from Project Guitar. I used to hang there as "Lex Luthier".
  10. Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Good to see you again Matt! I always loved the "Lex Luthier" moniker. I'm mad at myself for not thinking of the name first! If I can be of service, let me know.
  11. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Got this from Larry of GH:
  12. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Hey There, I offer resawing on all the wood I sell as well as thickness sanding to 80 grit. I can resaw wood you ship to me aswell but it would cost 35.00 plus your shipping so it might not be worth it for the wood you have now.

Check out the luthier supplies at the top of this forum. That is my shop and we do everything inhouse.
  13. Rick Turner

Rick Turner

Jul 14, 2004
    I've got a 20 hp horizontal Baker resaw with a conveyor belt feed set up to do high precision work. We cut a lot of acoustic backs, sides, and tops to about .170" with .046" kerf loss. Works great, but it's probably not worth sending us wood unless it's koa, Brazilian rosewood, or something worth a whole lot of money. I saw all my own figured maple, walnut, rosewood, sycamore, koa, etc.